Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #1

17 wheel size question, what rim is on your van?

I have a 2012 E350 quigley 4x4 with 17X7.5 stock steel wheels with 5.75 backspace. I am looking to upgrade to a Black aluminum wheels and stay 17 inch with the stock 245/70r17 tires.

Looking for suggestions on what works and will not hit the fenders. Photos of yours is well received

Thanks

kicknupdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #2

Re: 17 wheel size question, what rim is on your van?

Here is a pretty good topic to start your reseach:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7067

I am using BFG ATKO 265/70/17 and without trimming the plastic on the front bumper, I get just a little rubbing even with this size. I think if I went with the 285, I would have to either lift the front end, or do some minor fender work. For what I do, the 265s are fine and haven't let me down yet. Quigley doesn't recommend any lift kits, of course, due to legal concerns about testing of rollover, etc.

I also have an 08 Quigley. As you probably know, the wheels use an 8x170 pattern. That caused much confusion when I bought the new wheels and tires as the dealer couldn't believe they were 17" either. I wasn't able to find a wheel I liked that had zero backspacing either (that's what Ford recommends for the F350) and went with 40 mm (1.5") spacing wheels. I think this contributes to the tires rubbing the plastic trim under the factory chrome bumpers in sharp turns. SMB trims the plastic on their conversions, but I haven't done mine yet.

Quigley recommends you use stock Ford F350 offset wheels. These are fairly flat (not dished). The Ford specs call for a nominal inset of 40mm (1.57"). You have a hard time finding nice looking wheels except from Ford that meet those specs. I went with some American Racing wheels, but if I understand the specs, they have an offset of 0 and therefore stick out about 1.5" further from the wheel wells than stock. They look OK with the bush whackers and so far with 45,000 miles, no problems yet. A little more aggressive look would be nice, but it wasn't worth the effort to me.

Part No. Size Offset Backside Bolt Circle
AR1727870 17" x 8" 0 4.5 8x170

AMERICAN BAJA POLISHED
(Series AR172)
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #3

Thanks Steve for the info, your van looks nice with the wheels, clean look.

I'll check out the rims and see if i can get them in black.

For the steel rims that quigley puts on they are ford part number bc3z1015c rated at 3000lbs and came on 2010-2013 F250 and F350 is what the ford dealership parts guy told me, they also put on aluminum ones which are part number ac3z1007a on the trucks with the same backspacing.

I use to live in Maine, and there they open your door and check tire size with the vehicle on the sticker to get a registration tag every year, needless to say i have a porsche 911 that sat for 7 years while i lived there since i modified it and there was no going back to stock. Not going to make that mistake again, the porsche is now 29 years old and aging quite nicely as a historical vehicle (no inspection)

In North Carolina - it's like no one has ever seen a 4x4 van before, the tire shops are lost for words on what will fit even if i give them all the info.

Any other 17" wheel ideas out there?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicknupdirt
Thanks Steve for the info, your van looks nice with the wheels, clean look.

I'll check out the rims and see if i can get them in black.

For the steel rims that quigley puts on they are ford part number bc3z1015c rated at 3000lbs and came on 2010-2013 F250 and F350 is what the ford dealership parts guy told me, they also put on aluminum ones which are part number ac3z1007a on the trucks with the same backspacing.

I use to live in Maine, and there they open your door and check tire size with the vehicle on the sticker to get a registration tag every year, needless to say i have a porsche 911 that sat for 7 years while i lived there since i modified it and there was no going back to stock. Not going to make that mistake again, the porsche is now 29 years old and aging quite nicely as a historical vehicle (no inspection)

In North Carolina - it's like no one has ever seen a 4x4 van before, the tire shops are lost for words on what will fit even if i give them all the info.

Any other 17" wheel ideas out there?
I bet Chris at Ujoint can give you some ideas.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #5

Chris at Ujoint is 3 hours west from me in Fletcher, if i had a day off during the week maybe i'll go for a road trip. Thanks
Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #6

I have Ultra Goliaths. They are a nice looking wheel, and have held up well to all abuse I put them through (better than my Alcoas!). FWIW I am running single-rear wheel offset rims up front even though its a dually, because I wanted the extra width so I can run wider 265 tires up front. 245s were getting chewed up too fast.

The have them in 20mm or 0mm offset. I have the 0 offset, and they actually rub the radius arms slightly since they are wider than stock.
http://www.ultrawheel.com/specs.cfm?...-224%20Goliath

NOTE: Ultra wheels are lug-centric. Be sure the tire shop uses a lug adapter when balancing, because I don't think the center-bore is actually centered well enough for balancing. One of my rims in particular will be especially mis-balanced if they stick in on "the cone".

Also the matte-black finish makes it wheel weights fall off easy. I'll be switching to balancing beads here shortly since I can't keep the wheel weights on.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 AM   #7

thanks for all the info,

I ended up getting Black Rock steel 997 wheels (black in color), load rated at 3650lbs, 17x8 4.5 backspace 0 offset 8x170mm, lug nuts are McGard 64024 14mm 1.5 for general info.

The wheels stick out are about 2" farther then the stock rims and i have about 1" clearance when turning from the back side of the front fender. So my guess is i could go the next taller size tire at some point and just clear everything.

I would attach a photo but can't figure it out.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

These?
Attached Thumbnails
[Title%20Empty].jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #9

yep thanks,

thats the beast - going with the satin black finish