Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Looks like a beautiful trip. So up there in AK you were alone most of the time? I'm a loner but even at that, it would be something different to experience.
In the beginning, there were 10 of us six days a week with Sunday's off. On Sat night, I would run them all to the road head by boat and then pick them up on Monday morning. By last week, they were working 12hr days and going home Fri afternoon. Over Thanksgiving, I was in camp for 5 days by myself, and it was interesting. Someone has to stay in camp to watch it, and I was the only one who does not live on the island, so it made sense. Despite being way off the road system, we had visitors last week. About 0200hrs, my door started rattling, but I thought it was the wind as usual. A few minutes later, the new camp foreman heard his door rattle and got up to make sure it was closed securely. He went back to bed and a few minutes later, he heard it open. He got up to find a strange woman standing in his doorway. She screamed when she saw him and ran off with another guy who was standing outside No doubt they had come off a fishing boat anchored in the cove and were looking for something to steal. The guys reported in the AM that all the bunkhouse cabinets were open, so they came in while everyone slept. Theft has become a big problem, due in part to all the hard drugs on the island. And we thought the bears would be the problem

Anyway, last week I was fueling the boat when this huge whale started lungefeeding right next to the boat. It was one of the biggest I've ever seen. So, needless to say, I'm happy to see my wife for a few weeks, sleep in, do some van projects and just relax. Oddly, I really want to go camping. I can't explain it........... Oh yea, Robb it seems like we have shared the same birthday for many years, Happy birthday buddy, I hope you had a great adventure somewhere......................................... A/T
Attached Thumbnails
Smaller whale.jpg  

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:40 PM   #92

AT- Happy Birthday to you a day late! I am happy you were able to spend it with your wife and relax out in the real world. Especially since the North Cascades are one of my all time favorite areas anywhere. I never had knowledge of that North Cascades Vintage aircraft museum, or I would have been there in a heart beat! Have a good friend in Sumner WA and have it pencilled in to visit there next year.

If anyone here by chance ever finds yourself near Cincinnati, check out the TriState WarBird Musem. The best time to visit is to tag along with a group because you get the place to yourselves with US Veteran guides and ability to climb into some of the planes. Really cool place.
http://www.tri-statewarbirdmuseum.org

Of course in my neck of the woods is also the National Museum of the United States Air Force- leaves me speechless every time...
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil

Not to mention our ties to the birth of flight (lets keep it civil now, no arguments about NC or Ohio being the birthplace of aviation ) There has been recent development of NHP Wright Brothers complex in Dayton Ohio
https://www.nps.gov/daav/index.htm

of course the Dayton Ohio Air Show is famous... always about THE hottest day of the year. My dentist is a Blue Angels Pilot!

My favorite spot up there however is this tiny place
Wright B Flyer Inc.
www.wright-b-flyer.org

I think I love the tiny places because you often get to speak directly with the people that work on the restorations.

Your Stories are among the best on this forum- Bear stories tho they may be! Sorry to hear the drug/crime epidemic has stretched to your remote work sites.
Anyhow- Thanks for the logistics links earlier about the Cassiar etc!

Too funny about wanting to go camping. I can relate because whenever I worked backcountry (past life) it was difficult to sleep in a house afterwards. I am getting ready to launch back into the world of onine dating and the woman who is advising me about writing my profile (YES i paid her good $$ that I could have spent on my van) says I need to mention camping, my 4WD van and all that good stuff because it is who i am. Hmmmmmm... I did not tell her my van's name is HellBetty and I am not wanting to scare any good men off, ya know?

Anyhow- Enjoy your trip north and be safe! Did you find travel partners, and will your wife accompany you? (May have missed that detail)
Old 12-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
According to my iCal, that is correct.

Jeff, yay van and Happy Birthday...to the both of you, I guess 19 years and no one figured this out before?

Good Lord!
LOL is that really a pic of RallyP?
Old 12-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #94

Doh I finally noticed you have a biz, Arctic Traveller- looks like some good reading and daydreaming to be had on your website
Old 12-07-2016, 11:41 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
LOL is that really a pic of RallyP?
Haha! No, but he does have a mullet wig which is absolutely hysterical!
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:09 AM   #96

[QUOTE=Annie O;190989] My favorite spot up there however is this tiny place Wright B Flyer Inc.www.wright-b-flyer.org I think I love the tiny places because you often get to speak directly with the people that work on the restorations.QUOTE

We were allowed to walk around the shop and chat with the mechanics that were restoring a V tail Beach. It didn't have an engine, but it looked better than when it was new. Very cool We have done light house tours in the past, visiting as many as possible, and now I think aircraft museums are next. We found the Evergreen museum by accident last year and it was spectacular. More adventure awaits.

QUOTE]I am getting ready to launch back into the world of onine dating and the woman who is advising me about writing my profile (YES i paid her good $$ that I could have spent on my van) says I need to mention camping, my 4WD van and all that good stuff because it is who i am.
QUOTE]

Good grief, with 3600 some odd members (all men?) on this site, now that you have expressed interest in dating, I would expect your mail box to get pretty full with mail from guys who might just have very similar interests to you. The holy grail of vans might be a late model 7.3 SMB, but I think that pale's in comparison to a single woman who wants to build a van and go camping. Best of luck
Advanced 4wd
Old 01-08-2017, 09:56 PM   #97

Well, I'm back at work, I was off for a little over a month, but it seems like I just left. My trip back was amazing, the trip report is here: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ska-18680.html O

I picked up a company truck and took a logging road into the beach pick up site, and it was a bit of a challange getting there. Just a few days prior it had been impassable due to the steep hills being covered in ice, but it had snowed, so there was some traction to be had when I got there. So, I was only here for a couple hours before everyone went home for the weekend and left me alone for three nights. Winter has set in, and camp is pretty well covered in snow, so not much gets done. As a result were down to just three guys doing maintenance during the week. I started working on a back up generator with a four cylinder Johndeer diesel, but so far it refuses to even turn over. It's an electrical problem, but I ran out of time to do much more today as my weekend overtime hours have been reduced to 4 a day (on top of our regular 60hrs during the week) As a result, I had plenty of time today to take the 4wheeler out for a ride in the virgin snow outside camp and it was a beautifull day. I didn't get more than a few hundred yards when I came across animal tracks. The first looked to be deer tracks, and then suddenly there were hundreds of what I suspect to be wolf tracks. Not much further up the road it became obvous something had had a meal of another animal, but there was nothing left but some blood on the snow, bits of fur, and poop. Nothing more, not bones, teeth, claws, nothing. They ate the entire thing. Just past the kill site, the road up the mountain was blocked by a large rock slide, so it was time to head back and crack the first beer of the night. And so it begins again. At least my van is near by, but until I can run the landing craft to the pick up site, I won't be able to get it to camp where I can work on it on my time off. Cheers........
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3747.jpg   IMG_3754.jpg   IMG_3750.JPG   IMG_3752.jpg   IMG_3756.jpg  

Advanced 4wd
Old 01-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #98

Well, it turns out I really can't do it any longer. Work that is. Reading about everyones adventures is just too hard, that and the fact that I haven't worked full time in many years and now I know why. So, I'm retiring and planning on spending the summer exploring some of the places I"ve always wanted to see. This will be the first summer I've been off work in a very long time. So, as soon as they hire my replacement and I give him a little training I'm out of here and free to travel at will. First will be another trip South through British Columbia, after that, Moab. From there I'm open to ideas. Let the fun begin...............
Advanced 4wd
Old 01-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #99

Congratulations on making the decision to retire. You are welcome to stop in for a meal, shower and anything else you might need. Oregon City is on the way south.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #100
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
... So, as soon as they hire my replacement and I give him a little training I'm out of here ...
Sounds like an opportunity for someone else with a van.

I'm a year and a half away from being eligible to retire, and its been on my mind a lot lately.

Herb