Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #11

Re: 4x4 basics: Quigley vs SMB vs....

In comparing a Quigley to SMB, note that (at least a few years ago), the SMB conversion included some things that the Quigley didn't. We have a 2001 Quigley (before SMB developed their conversion) and later added an additional leaf in the rear springs, upgraded the shocks, and also paid for dual fuel tanks (no longer available). Those upgrades were close to the cost difference between the two conversions (at least a few years ago).

Old 05-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #12

Good info, thanks. What year did SMB develop their own 4x4 conversion?

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Good info, thanks. What year did SMB develop their own 4x4 conversion?

2003.... do I win a prize?
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Lenny: Uh, it's a secret.
Carl: Shut up.

Quadvan vs SMB

The trick.... that is awesome. I could have used that this last weekend trying to turn around on a narrow dirt road with a huge cliff on one side. Took me a good 10 minutes of back and forth to actually turn the beast around. Didn't even think of that. Learn something new everyday.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
I don't know what the consensus is on the Quigley, but it seems like the bobbing, wobbling and wandering are kinda normal.
OK, so I have zeroed in on a low mileage used V-10 Quigley, the camper layout and everything else is great, and the price is pretty good, but it is a Quigley. I guess I can wait for opportunities to test drive Quigleys and SMBs, but failing that are there any summary threads of how to improve the Quigley's handling, or as you say above, is it really a lost cause?

I mean, the 2WD van isn't exactly a Ferrari, so my expectations are pretty low. Robustness and reliability are probably more important to me than handling or extreme off-road capacblity.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #16

I have an 08 Quigley with the V-10 and it drives great. My only complaint is I would like to have another 1" of front travell before hitting the bump stops, but from what I read, the SMB conversion hits the bump stops also.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382
I have an 08 Quigley with the V-10 and it drives great. My only complaint is I would like to have another 1" of front travell before hitting the bump stops, but from what I read, the SMB conversion hits the bump stops also.
Without Deavers, yes mine was on the bumpstops and hit them HARD. With Deavers it's still close, but no hard hits. Looks like in another thread SMB is using different springs now.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #18

Quote:
With the coil spring front end and an F series front axle, you can make spacers to go under the front spring mounts and gain an inch or more of travel. I have added 2.5" spacers on my van. I did have to get longer bolts, and they were metric and a larger size than most places carry. Had to get long bolts from a specialty metric supplier. And you have to measure the bolt (14 x 2 mm I believe) and get one that is 25mm longer for every inch you want to raise the front.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
My pre-Deaver SMB conversion did hit but I never felt it like so many that I've heard complain. The only way I ever knew there was contact was by looking at the front axle.

I also had an extra leaf put in the back during the vans construction because of the reported "rear end sag". That said, I haven't had the chance to ride in or drive a new SMB conversion, yet have been told they ride much better, but the spring packs are still rated to handle much lower weight than the Deaver spring pack. With the weight of my vehicle reaching 12K, SMB suggested Deaver.

When I ordered my van I wanted the most heavy duty conversion I could get locally. SMB is an hour away so between Quigley/SMB, I went with SMB. It's the same thinking for ordering the full floating rear axle and I'm glad I did. I'm sure other companies and conversions are well built but SMB was close by. It all depends on what you plan to do with the rig. Later on I found I like minimal rock climbing so I'm glad I went heavy duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC

I have a 99 E350 V10 extended cargo van, bare bones, that I use for camping, hauling my astronomy gear. Thanks.

[Edit] BTW the original springs in the rear would cause my stuff in the back to jump a foot or so in the air. If I was hauling my 10” SCT, I’d have to collimate it by the time I made it to my camp site. I started to carry a refractor or Mak because of that. With the Deaver spring pack I don’t think I’ll have any problem hauling any kind of SCT. Dob or Newt, I’m not too sure. A rough ride is what it is.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote