Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #11

Re: 4x4 conversion survey- who did it and why choose them

I'm really stoked on my recent UJoint conversion. As a ski coach I've driven a lot of different vans, especially Chevy's, all the sizes of econolines including a Quigley and an Advanced GMC. The Ujoint ride is far superior in my opinion. I was concerned the higher aspect and bigger tires were going to make handling suffer on the freeways, but Chris' geometry is super tight. Corners great, and holds a straight line going 80. The suspension feels stiff in the bigger bumps while soft in pot holes/washboard. The fact that the F350 parts are readily available is a huge bonus. I've been stranded in our ski club Quigley waiting for specific Quigley manufactured parts to ship from Pennsylvania.

I had some frequent flyer miles to ease the expense of getting my vehicle to North Carolina from Colorado and leaving it with Chris. I saved some money, but between the mileage on the van, the cost of fuel and food, and the time away from work, shipping the van might have been a wiser choice. However, sure was a fun drive home in a new rig! I felt like in terms of re-sale value it was worth having Chris and his guys do the labor.

Good luck with your decision.

Diamond Eye Exhuast
Dp Tuner
calebmogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #12

SMB because I wanted the Atlas II hands down. Had to put Deavers on to stop smashing the bumpstops on regular driving. Do over I'd probably go with the twin I-beam 50 or from BajaSportsmobile/Agile. It would be nice to be lower profile, have less of a climb and be able to actually go in the airport garage.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #13

Quadvan. Best ride compared to Quigley and SMB hands down.
ridintall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

SMB because it was convenient, one stop shopping and one trip to the bank's loan dept. Tried talking to a certain other conversion shop but never got called back.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #15

I have a Quigley and I'm happy with it. I have no problem tracking it down the freeway and I feel like it corners really well for what it is. Seems to corner better than the Sportsmobile conversion I've driven but probably isn't as capable in serious offroad situations. It has been plenty capable for my needs...primarily snow and low intensity offroad situations and I feel like I can go anywhere I'd want to go in it within reason. I have driven a Quadvan but it was an early 2000s model that had an independant front end. It actually rode the best of the three, but I don't think they are doing that conversion anymore. No experience with driving a Ujoint van, but he has a great reputation and was super nice and responsive when I emailed him about potentially buying a fuel tank.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:52 PM   #16

I had Quadvan do a 4x4 conversion on my new - at the time - 2012 E350 van. My experience with both SportsMobile and Quadvan:
1. As per another post, one problem is in having two outfits work on the van. There was the hassle and expense of shipping it from Sportsmobile to Quadvan (I live in Colorado).
2. The cost for the conversion - along with shipping from Calif. to Oregon added for Quadvan - was about the same for Sportsmobile and Quadvan.
3. Sportsmobile was all-in-all okay to work with. (This is my second Sportsmobile. The first I had done in Austin. They did an excellent job and I drove the van for 20 years and 250,000mi. The second I had done in Fresno and they did an okay job). They made some mistakes with the interior work, and as I picked the van up in Oregon at Quadvan, it wasn't possible to take the van back. It took me about a week in a well-equipped shop to correct the problems. They put in a Voyager top with top cabinets. I had specific needs for specific equipment. They totally ignored what I wanted - even though it was all on the work-order and I went to the Sportmobile factory to talk it over, so it wasn't a matter of trying to do it from a distance. I ended up ripping all of the upper cabinets out and making it right. I figured it was cheaper and easier to do it myself and get it right than hassle taking it back to Sportsmobile with more gas and perhaps a flight home and back).
4. The Quadvan conversion. I endlessly drive dirt/deep sand/washboard roads for work. I do a little "rock crawling," but nothing outrageous and never because I want to. I am entirely pleased with the Quadvan conversion (manual hubs, manual shift, E-locker on the front, limited slip on the rear). I initially chose it over the Sportsmobile conversion simply because I am always working in small towns, and there is not a small ranching community that doesn't have someone who can work on a Ford F-350 4x4 system, simply because that is what most ranchers have. Luckily I have had zero problems on that front. The Quadvan installation is incredibly clean and well-done. They didn't miss a trick and the workmanship was topnotch. Kudos there. But, Quadvan is not a particularly easy outfit to work with. It seemed that everything was like pulling teeth. Endless emails and calls went unanswered, etc. (Hint to any business: answer your phone and answer your email in a timely fashion; it should never take multiple calls and it should never take more than 24 hours!)
5. If you do go with Quadvan, it behooves you to have them do as much as possible as there is no Oregon sales tax. I would have them do the 45 gallon gas tank, front or rear bumper/carrier changes, winch, etc.
6. Just a couple of notes: I have the V-10. At 55mph I get 13-14mpg. At 75mph I get 11mpg. Slogging along on crappy roads I get 6-7mpg. I had Sportmobile do two solar panels and two batteries. They work GREAT!
7. Would I do the Quadvan conversion again, even with the hassles? Yes. It is so incredibly well-done. Would I have Sportsmobile do another conversion? I would look around. I really don't know anyone else out there doing similar work, though. Compared to my first Sportmobile from Austin, I think that Fresno is more geared for production than for quality (beyond the cabinets there were quite a few unacceptable blunders. I'm glad I'm a retired mechanic with good skills, good knowledge, and a great shop).
stevecanyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #17

I will second the QuadVan. Good all around 4x4. I believe you can get it in 2", 4" & 6" lifts depending on tire size. The front coils & trailing arms work well.
Total bolt on and yes a Ford dealership or independent won't flinch too hard at working on one.
If you can make it to QuadVan for a 4x4 install, you must consider Van Specialties for your interior (both in Portland).
They can give you a better interior - similar floor plans or create your own.
Van Specialties will also be very helpful down the road when you need maintenance or want to do some change out.
Go Greg and Litch.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #18

So I've had 2 SMB Quigley vans, one was a 2002 and the second was a 2008 (sold new in 2010). Overall, ok for highway non off-road use. Actually, I sold both vans within a year of ownership because I was so disappointed overall with the drive ability of each. Very short wheel travel, uncomfortable over 65 mph, harsh ride. I was ready to give up vans all together but before I did I spoke (heavily) to Chris at Ujoint -he's a great guy, very personable, and always attentive to my inquiries. I was still hesitant to dive in again because of the first 2 vans, but decided to fly to NC to check out Chris's shop and test drive one of his vans. As it turns out, I test drove 3 different Ujoint creations and was blown away how well they all drive. Comfortable ride, great handling, and very easy to drive. I was so impressed, 30 min later I drove to the local Ford dealership and order a new van for Chris to build. Since picking up the van in September, I've probably called Chris a dozen times to tell him how great his work is and how much I absolutely love this van. Great ride, excellent handling, awesome on the highway, and very comfortable off road. Hands down I can absolutely recommend Ujoint!
colokiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #19
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I've got a SMB w/Quigley, bought it used, came with front coils, I put in new rear Deaver leaf springs and Bilstein shocks and stabilizer with new rear shock mounts and rear spacers. The ride and handling were greatly improved from stock setup as I gather would be the case for anyone with a Quigley, hence all the Quigley ride improvement kits. Would I do a Quigley 4X4 if starting from scratch, I don't know and have not researched the others enough to have an opinion other than what is posted on the forum, but it has served us well. Proximity as well as components used would be a deciding factor for me, as I'd want to be close to the shop that does the work for any issues that come up. I have been in the process of improving/upgrading components on the van since we got it, I just upgraded the brakes to frozen rotors, and had to have them re-drilled to convert the bolt pattern to 8X6.5 so they fit because Quigley converted from 8X170, no big deal other than it's not an off the shelf part, but one of the few that's not off the shelf that come on the Quigly's, did not really want to swap out my entire front end just to convert it back to stock pattern.
Maybe someone can shed some more light on the inherent differences in ride quality, durability and on/off road differences between a coil front and leaf spring front. I tend to feel that coils offer up a slightly more compliant ride on road and maybe give up a little off road burliness, but lots of jeeps and other off-roaders run coils, so....
That being said, I have ridden in several rigs and have owned an old blazer with leaf fronts, it was rough! I would prob go with one of the outfits that use a coil front conversion, as most of our driving is on road, getting to the few miles off road trails other than needing 4X4 for snow or mountain driving. When picking a 4X4 outfitter, it would be best to match your off road/4X4 intentions/needs you have with the rig to the system or outfitter you decide to go with, they all have pros/cons, but hard to justify getting a 15" travel, Baja 1000 ready 10K lb. rig if all you'll ever do with it is climb a dirt hill in a local state park(no disrespect bajasportsmobile, I think your stuff is pretty sweet)
I guess I'll plug Derek at Colorado campervan in Loveland, he's done some work on our rig(his adjustable torque arms and brakes), and I am looking at his insulated canvas for our top, would add him to the list of 4X4 converters and you can find his conversions and list of components on his website, so far I have enjoyed working with him.
One more note, as others have mentioned, I can't stand companies that don't answer their phones or return calls or emails, I will not do business with them, period! I don't care if they have the holy grail of products. I am dealing with that crap with my insurance company's adjuster on a claim, I'm considering switching the rest of our insurance that is with the same company if that is their protocol on claims, drives me nuts! Good luck on your decision!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #20

You don't have to swap the whole front end to get back to 8 on 170mm, just the unit bearings.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote