Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2018, 11:28 AM   #31
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Hello.....OP, you still there? We can’t help you if you don’t reply to your own thread. Still looking for answers-where do you live, budget, what type of travel do you do/planning to do, layout, must have options...
This thread could go on forever with replies to new members posting up similar searches for their dream rig.

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #32

Good point REF. I mean I’ve only got 2 cents to spend every so often....
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:15 PM   #33

Almost two decades into it, I'd say unless you wanna seriously offroad, like very slow speed bumping up and down hard stuff, I'd avoid a 4x4 conversion. I wouldn't get it just for snow, for your average high clearance roads, or for safety. Instead I'd beef up the suspension a bit, bigger tires and wheels (snows if winter stuff), sway bars, etc. Maybe even a lift. That's gonna provide safety and get you to most places most people go.

4x4 conversion is a commitment. Getting stuff fixed is always a pain, and doing offroading on anything moderately hard is harder with a big loaded van, so you break more stuff. And you WILL break stuff. And stuff wears out faster, like ball joints (ouch). And it often breaks in bad locations.

So unless you're really committed, better to go more conservative.

I can't speak to the Sprinter factory 4x4 tough. Although having just had to visit a mechanic in a small town 100mi north of Boise ID I gotta say it might be even more of a pain getting fixes from your average boondocks mechanic, while I could do that with the Ford I have. Sometimes you wanna keep it simple to keep it safe and robust.

And I had my van for a few years as stock before I did my conversion. And I got up plenty of remote dirt roads with just the 2wd.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:53 PM   #34

I have the biggest tires you can fit stock at 31.5". Nankang mudstar 265/75r16. They are great and have stud holes on the outer edges. They are street compound and 5/8" deep so they last. 10ply 123n load range.

Between those and my winch I am set. I still want 4wd though
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 10:30 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
Hello.....OP, you still there? We can’t help you if you don’t reply to your own thread. Still looking for answers-where do you live, budget, what type of travel do you do/planning to do, layout, must have options...
This thread could go on forever with replies to new members posting up similar searches for their dream rig.
Apologies. The thread took off without me. Thanks for the refocusing.

I live in Colorado. I am too addicted to skiing to not plan on living in snow country for a long time. My budget could probably fit the $10k+ in, but I'd rather buy a high roof and some other things first. I've seen 2wd vans on top of Roger's Pass in B.C. - one of the gnarlier passes I've ever been on. I was towing a 20 foot camper trailer behind my expedition el 4wd with blizzak snow tires, and I was pretty gripped. I don't mind driving slowly in the snow -ESPECIALLY if I can move fast in other ways - breaking down and setting up camp, or if I have a warm comfortable place to cook dinner and sleep. I'm not an avid offroader, and have probably used the 4wd low on my expedition about 5 times. I do want to go on surf trips to baja and maybe even central/south America which would certainly warrant the 4wd.

I plan on doing some stealth camping at some point, and the 4x4 is just going to attract attention. Additionally, I don't like the idea of lifting a 7000lb vehicle an extra 4-6 inches off the ground - shifting weight and associated instability seem more dangerous than 2wd in the snow to me - correct me if I'm wrong.
maxswasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:05 PM   #36
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
4x4 cost and advantage?

Eh, not really....anyway, what’d ya think about that ‘06 transformer? It’s even right here in Colorado
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:30 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxswasser View Post
Apologies. The thread took off without me. Thanks for the refocusing.

I live in Colorado. I am too addicted to skiing to not plan on living in snow country for a long time. My budget could probably fit the $10k+ in, but I'd rather buy a high roof and some other things first. I've seen 2wd vans on top of Roger's Pass in B.C. - one of the gnarlier passes I've ever been on. I was towing a 20 foot camper trailer behind my expedition el 4wd with blizzak snow tires, and I was pretty gripped. I don't mind driving slowly in the snow -ESPECIALLY if I can move fast in other ways - breaking down and setting up camp, or if I have a warm comfortable place to cook dinner and sleep. I'm not an avid offroader, and have probably used the 4wd low on my expedition about 5 times. I do want to go on surf trips to baja and maybe even central/south America which would certainly warrant the 4wd.

I plan on doing some stealth camping at some point, and the 4x4 is just going to attract attention. Additionally, I don't like the idea of lifting a 7000lb vehicle an extra 4-6 inches off the ground - shifting weight and associated instability seem more dangerous than 2wd in the snow to me - correct me if I'm wrong.
I love my econoline, but honestly I think a lot about getting a savannah. They came stock with 4wd for a couple years and thus would be a great stealth 4wd camper.
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #38

Here's another:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post232197

Where you live and since you're in to skiing there's no way I would buy a van that wasn't 4wd unless you plan to have it converted.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:15 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
My 2 cents is that if you live in an area that gets snow or plan on traveling frequently to areas with snow, particularly those that have steep grades (those often go together of course) then 4x4 or AWD is a must. I can't imagine taking my family over some of the passes we have here in the winter without it. The back just wants to push out pretty quickly once the grade gets steep. 4x4 turns a couple of hours of white knuckling it into mostly a non event. I will admit that I have an aversion to putting on chains so that could potentially be solution for the rear end slide but having the front tires pull you in the direction you want to go is a big help.

Don't sleep on the GM AWD vans (Express and Savana) in your searches. Great powertrains and fantastic in the nasty winter stuff.
Too late... Bought an 01 7.3 EB last week. I wanted a van that would keep its value better. I will probably mull over 4wd this winter, as I should be pretty sedentary in an epic place to ski anyway. I'll have access to a Subaru too. Ultimately the health and safety of myself and my passengers is worth far far more than $10-$12k.

I guess I may start the parts and tool search then!
Old 08-01-2018, 08:18 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Here's another:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post232197

Where you live and since you're in to skiing there's no way I would buy a van that wasn't 4wd unless you plan to have it converted.
That one is really nice... Already bought a 7.3 for possibly too much $$$, but I think I'm going to go forward with the conversion now. I'm about to have a few months where I might not have a job... I'll be giving ujoint a call pretty soon it seems.