Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #11

Re: A spare spare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Another option is an all around smaller wheel/tire for emergency use. You wouldn't want to use on a limited slip axle or a full time locker, but it could get you out of trouble when used on an open axle.

Worst case, you pull a front tire off and put the small spare on the front and swap the good front tire to the limited slip rear.

Mike
This has been my solution in the past. I carry two spares - a full size on the rear carrier and a LT245/70R17 in the stock location - and there were times I was glad I did! Seems like it's a rear that goes flat 90% of the time. With some practice (and two jacks) it doesn't take too long to swap a front to the rear and put that dinky tire on the front. But I also carry an extensive flat repair kit and have been able to put at least a temporary fix on most of my flats so I didn't have to change it at all.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56
This has been my solution in the past. I carry two spares - a full size on the rear carrier and a LT245/70R17 in the stock location - and there were times I was glad I did! Seems like it's a rear that goes flat 90% of the time. With some practice (and two jacks) it doesn't take too long to swap a front to the rear and put that dinky tire on the front. But I also carry an extensive flat repair kit and have been able to put at least a temporary fix on most of my flats so I didn't have to change it at all.
That's what I have as well, full size on the back, and another in the stock location. I haven't had to use either one since I've upgraded to Toyo Open Country MT's however....
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle56
I also carry an extensive flat repair kit and have been able to put at least a temporary fix on most of my flats so I didn't have to change it at all.
Same here. I have a "tire plug" kit which I used in Mexico for a sidewalk puncture that was still holding when we returned a thousand miles later. I also have an "old-fashioned" tire repair kit with the patch which goes inside the tire. You need to remove the tire at least partially for this type of repair so I have some tire irons for that task. To re-inflate a radial you need to either shoot starter fluid into the tire and light it or (my choice) carry a ratchet-type load restrainer to tighten the tire to the rim to start inflating it.

In addition to an air compressor, I have a 10-ton hydraulic jack and a Hi-Lift jack. I carry an Off Road base for the Hi-Lift (to spread the load of the jack if the ground is soft) and a Lift-Mate which gives a better grip on a bumper. My winch bag includes a chain which allows me, if needed, to chain the axle to the frame so the axle goes up with the body when using the Hi-Lift.

Yes, Hi-Lift jacks can be dangerous but if the flat tire is in a rut, you aren't going to get a bottle jack under the axle. The Off Road base helps stabilize the jack so it doesn't tip over and the Lift-Mate ensures that the bumper doesn't slide off the jack. Chaining the axle so you don't need to lift the body so high and being careful while jacking all helps minimize potential problems.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 PM   #14

yvrr: Awesome post for this thread. Thank you!
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote