Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #21

I'm not familiar with the Quadvan setup.

How does it differ from the SMB 4x4 specs?

Thanks
R

Old 05-31-2008, 01:58 PM   #22

Quadvan specs

EMRider,
I'm no mechanic but I'll give this a go.. Starting with the transfer case, SMB uses a Borg model while Quadvan opts to stick with the New Venture used in the F-350 4X4 trucks. The NV gives you a high and low range for 4X4 but not the H/M/L/N that I believe the SMB conversion boasts. SMB will point out that their's is gear driven while the New Venture is chain driven but for practical purposes I've never seen this make a difference.

Quadvan also sticks with coil spring / shock system while SMB drops that system for leaf-spring front suspension. Quadvan maintains the factory Ford mounting locations then adds a second shock to the system to improve handling. Again, the leaf spring will add more travel which would be of benefit off-road. However, the SMB sits lower, with either a 2 1/2" or 4" lift which will improve fuel economy and reduce roll-overs. The Quadvan offers 11" front brakes and 17" tires. I'm uncertain what SMB has but I believe the tires are usually 18".

Quadvans come with the Dana Super 60 front axle, again stock F-350. Sorry, I don't know what the SMB uses.

I've driven Quigley, Quadvan and Clydesdale conversions and there is no comparison. My van handles far better than either of the others. It's got a better turning radius than the Quigley and I don't even want to comment on the Clydesdale. I'm sure the SMB is superior off-road with more clearance, more shock travel and the high-end transfer case but is also more difficult to service - I would just roll into any Ford Dealer.

Here's another big difference though.. Quadvan will purchase a newish used van for you through contacts at Ford and then convert it to 4X4 for you. In 2007 I bought a 2004 Ford E-350 custom crew cargo (fully loaded including hitch assembly) with 24,000m. It was in brand new condition, having spent its life driving around a ford factory. Quadvan converted it and sold it to me for about $30,000. Add the SMB pop-top and high-end GTRV camper conversion and the entire unit cost me less than $60,000. I'm not a rich guy so the $50,000 savings over a comparable new SMB was very important.

Anyway, I'm rambling but there's some of the specs. You can also see the Quadvan website and compare it to that on the SMB website or chat with Eddie at Quadvan. (I think the carries his cell 24/7..)
And, back to the original topic in this discussion there's another important part of opting for Quadvan: dealing with Quadvan is actually enjoyable. Before our last big trip Eddie actually called me up to have me stop into the shop on the way by for an inspection. And, unlike SMB I've never left the shop with more problems than I rolled in with.
GTRV Conversion
cranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:15 PM   #23

Re: Quadvan specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranny
SMB uses a Borg model
Actually it's an Atlas II from Advance Adaptors. I bought a yoke seal and nut and they were factory Ford parts. I also have one for my Jeep. The Advance Adaptors people are great- another high mark for a vendor supporting their product.

Quote:
(gear driven / chain driven) but for practical purposes I've never seen this make a difference.
I believe the issue is that the chain can stretch, or will stretch and without regular service can cause problems. I agree, for practical purposes this makes no difference.

Quote:
I'm uncertain what SMB has but I believe the tires are usually 18".
Pre 2008 they're 16" without the brake upgrade, with upgrade or 2008+ they're 17".

Quote:
Quadvans come with the Dana Super 60 front axle, again stock F-350. Sorry, I don't know what the SMB uses.
SMB has the Dynatrack Pro Rock D60. Purpose built for offroad, the pumpkin is shaped to the ring and pinion, giving a few inches of clearance. If you're ever in a situation, en van, where you really need these inches I won't envy your predicament.

Quote:
And, unlike SMB I've never left the shop with more problems than I rolled in with.
If quotable signatures were big on this site that would totally go in mine...
Old 05-31-2008, 08:24 PM   #24

Re: Quadvan specs

Quote:
EMRider,
I'm no mechanic but I'll give this a go.. Starting with the transfer case, SMB uses a Borg model while Quadvan opts to stick with the New Venture used in the F-350 4X4 trucks. The NV gives you a high and low range for 4X4 but not the H/M/L/N that I believe the SMB conversion boasts. SMB will point out that their's is gear driven while the New Venture is chain driven but for practical purposes I've never seen this make a difference.

Quadvan also sticks with coil spring / shock system while SMB drops that system for leaf-spring front suspension. Quadvan maintains the factory Ford mounting locations then adds a second shock to the system to improve handling. Again, the leaf spring will add more travel which would be of benefit off-road. However, the SMB sits lower, with either a 2 1/2" or 4" lift which will improve fuel economy and reduce roll-overs. The Quadvan offers 11" front brakes and 17" tires. I'm uncertain what SMB has but I believe the tires are usually 18".

I've driven Quigley, Quadvan and Clydesdale conversions and there is no comparison. My van handles far better than either of the others. It's got a better turning radius than the Quigley and I don't even want to comment on the Clydesdale. I'm sure the SMB is superior off-road with more clearance, more shock travel and the high-end transfer case but is also more difficult to service - I would just roll into any Ford Dealer.

Here's another big difference though.. Quadvan will purchase a newish used van for you through contacts at Ford and then convert it to 4X4 for you. In 2007 I bought a 2004 Ford E-350 custom crew cargo (fully loaded including hitch assembly) with 24,000m. It was in brand new condition, having spent its life driving around a ford factory. Quadvan converted it and sold it to me for about $30,000. Add the SMB pop-top and high-end GTRV camper conversion and the entire unit cost me less than $60,000. I'm not a rich guy so the $50,000 savings over a comparable new SMB was very important.

Anyway, I'm rambling but there's some of the specs. You can also see the Quadvan website and compare it to that on the SMB website or chat with Eddie at Quadvan. (I think the carries his cell 24/7..)
And, back to the original topic in this discussion there's another important part of opting for Quadvan: dealing with Quadvan is actually enjoyable. Before our last big trip Eddie actually called me up to have me stop into the shop on the way by for an inspection. And, unlike SMB I've never left the shop with more problems than I rolled in with.
Very helpful, thanks for the detailed info.
R
Old 06-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #25

EM Rider,
Just let me ditto everything Cranny has said with heavy emphasis on the pleasure of dealing with Eddie Percic(pronounced "Persich"). My experience is identical to Cranny's.
Let me say my dealings to date with SMB Fresno have also been good. My Penthouse goes on June 30th.
I'm doing my own interior but expect my final costs to be just over $40k. I will have a sparse interior with a removable galley, rear bunk at window height with slide out storage below.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 11:37 PM   #26

Feedback on my Quadvan conversion

My feedback after 5k mostly highway miles, is that we are happy with conversion that Eddie and John did at Quadvan.

http://quadvan.com/solid_axle.html for their web site.

While I was happy with the conversion I got from SMB Fresno, I was concerned about the ride quality which seemed rough to me. Location disqualified Salem Kroger for me as well.

During my investigation, I called 4 Quadvan references and all were very positive of the people and product.

Similar to Chris, I got the 4 Bilsteins up front, 2 Bilsteins in the rear plus a Roadmaster suspension on a 4" lift kit. I didn't get the lockers but have the 4.10 ltd slip.
I also got a BFG AT tire upgrade, Aluminess tire carrier and Bushwacker flared fenders.
When I went to pick it up, they also added new rims and a leather steering wheel which was a really nice touch. For all these items, it was $16,000 out the door. Eddie said he needed 3 weeks and it was available two days early.

Dual fronts

Roadmaster rear

Underside view

Street view

Everything worked fine when I picked it up and I received several followup calls from Eddie to check that I was happy.

The steering is tighter than 2wd stock(I bought the van new from Ford/SMB). It tracks straight. ABS and tire sensors remain Ford stock.
The 4wd shifter was very stiff initially but worked out nicely within a couple days. I got manual hubs and a stick shifter.

The ride is good, not minivan quality but better than truck quality. Loaded, we don't wallow or seem to have excessive roll. As I mentioned in another post, driving the Highway to the Sun didn't cause any anxiety for me or my wife nor did we bump anyone off the road.

Most importantly, there aren't complaints after a day on the road from the rest of the family.

I expect that I have given up some off-road capability but for me that was little loss compared to every day livability for our family vacation.

If you have a similar desire for a softer ride, I'd strongly recommend Quadvan product and Eddie. While I haven't had issues, my sense is that he would take care of me if I needed it.

Let me know if I can answer anything else if you are considering Quadvan as an option.

-Mark

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #27

As a Quigley owner I'll only add that my 07 Quigley van turns tighter than my 98 E350 2wd.
j.whitbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #28

After 10,000 miles I'm still happy. Since my van was empty the ride is probably stiffer. As I convert the interior and add weight I expect it to soften.
I tried taking the Roadmasters off but it really softened the rear to the point it felt mushy and unstable.
My transfer case also shifts hard but I've only been in 4wd once. Glad to hear it will loosen up.
Nice looking wheels! Same ones I have. Eddie said he hadn't seen them before......now they must be standard equip. He also threw in a leather steering wheel and I love it.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #29

We put the QuadVan conversion on our SMB E-350 diesel last year--after getting stuck in the snow in the Cascades during the winter. We've since used the 4x4 in Death Valley and Alaska/Yukon, as well as our normal winter use in the mountains in Wa and Ore. I have no regrets and recommend the QuadVan folks and their system without reservation.

We wanted a 2" rise rather than the 4" on the other systems, so we could still get our van in our carport. No problem. The 50% increase in braking power, significantly shorter turning radius (great for Forest Service trailheads), and noticeable reduction in rear sway were all additional benefits. The only "cost" has been a 1-2 reduction in mpg, but we both feel much safer and more comfortable with the highway ride as well as the confidence in going just about anywhere we want to off-road or in the snow. The latter was our main objective initially.

As others have said, Eddie and his folks are very easy to work with--the same as we found with Allen and his crew in Fresno. We feel fortunate to have come up with this combination.
olyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 AM   #30

Re: Actual Quadvan experience?

Any new developments with Quad-Van? Some of the previously mentioned folks are gone but my understanding(from them) is that the mechanic principals (guy's) are still there. Thanks, RD
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote