Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #31

Re: Actual Quadvan experience?

After one year of ownership I am convinced I made a good decision. I just returned from my first serious off road trip in Death Valley/Saline Valley and other than 2 flat tires which were my fault, I was extremely impressed with my van's capability. I traveled with an EB SMB and followed him without difficulty on some 4wd trails classed as difficult. I don't weigh as much as a fully equipped SMB so direct comparisons of ride quality could differ. I aired down to 25lbs from 55 and at about 35mph washboard surfaces were not too bad.
I crushed a plastic center cap and dinged a couple of rims on a narrow stair step section of Steel Pass but so did the other SMB in the same section.
I dealt with Eddie Persich at Quadvan. I also talked at length with the head fabricator/intallation guy who's name I don't recall. It's a small shop but I really liked the one-on-one closeup personal treatment I experienced.
If Eddie is no longer there I hope he is doing well. I liked him.
If you can get up to the shop in Portland I recommend it. It helps to see what they do up close.

07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #32

Thank you Christopher for your reply. I plan on using them. I just want to be sure all is well up there. RD
dowgars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:24 PM   #33

I don't know...I suppose their business has been impacted by the economy too. Although my conversion WAS a neccessity!!!!
Good Luck
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 08-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #34

I have a 2005 e350 with the Quadvan 4x4 conversion. I have put on 25K since I bought it in 2006. It has been super up until a few months ago.

I am getting a significant wobble in the front end when decellerating from 55 mph to 45mph when applying slight pressure to brake pedal to gradually slow down. It doesn't always happen and it is more pronounced when going down a hill while making a left and turn. Taking my foot off the brake the vehicle will restore itself. Applying firmer pressure and or firmly modulating the brake to slow vehicle quickly through the 55 - 45 mph threshold will avoid the wobble. It does not happen faster than 55 MPH or slower than 45 mph. It only occurs between 55 - 45.

I just had the shocks changed, the wheels balanced and had the camber and castor looked at. The mechanic looked at the hubs and all linages and all seem normal.

I love the van but this is potentially pretty scary.

Has any other Quadvan owner experienced something similar? If so what did you do to sort it out?

Please reply to me at: mark@flowingriver.net

Or feel free to call me at: (415)706-200

Thank you!

Mark Herrick
California
markwhitelotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:57 PM   #35

Sounds like a warped front rotor. Have you had your brakes checked?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:17 AM   #36

The wobble is most likely uneven brake pad deposits on the rotor. It's actually rare for a rotor to warp, and many shops will tell customers they have warped rotors because it seems to be more accepted than brake pad deposits (and they can charge more for the repair). When a rotor is actually warped, its almost from not torquing the lug nuts in the correct order.

To fix it, properly bed in your brakes. About 8 hard stops from higher speeds (70-80 mph), with slowing in between will do it. Do not come to a full stop and hold the brakes during this process. That is exactly what causes uneven deposits in the first place.

That said, also inspect your ball joints. They do not last forever.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #37

I have experienced exactly what you describe but only 3 or 4 times. I have an 05 with an 08 conversion.I have put about 20K on it in the past 18 months. If I am understanding the corrective measure to clear the brake pad deposits can I assume the deposits will periodically re-appear? I'm real easy on brakes which seems to be the reason for the deposits!!
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Old 08-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #38

The problem is usually staying on the brakes at a complete stop when teh brakes are already hot.

I have pretty much avoided it by letting the van roll forward very slowly at a stop if the brakes are really hot.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #39

Thanks...I appreciate the info and advice....saved me a trip to the front end shop.
07 BMW 525xi wagon