Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #1

Actual Salem Kroeger experience

Hey all - I ordered my 2010 Ford E350 Super Duty RB in Pueblo Gold/flint today. Ford will drop ship to SMB free of charge. I will do upfitter mods by SMB. Finally!!!

I need to decide on 4x4 conversion - I'm looking for public comments on experience with Salem Kroeger in Red Bluff. They are much closer to me than Portland Oregon. I have talked to them, SMB and Quadvan at length so I know the differences. Lots of info on Quadvan but not much on S&K. I'm looking for input.
Thx!
Warholic

warholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:42 AM   #2

Re: Actual Salem Kroeger experience

Salem Kroger is never heard of because they have no know issues. They worked with Ford and use all Ford F350 parts and specs. It's built just like Ford would have built it. If you plan on using 4x4 a lot then the best would be the SMB conversion with Prorock axels and the Atlas transfer case. I have no idea of the cost difference but if it was 10-20K more for the SMB 4x4 then that would be great. Spec out the pro rock high clearance axels with cromolly shafts the atlas T-case and Deaver springs with Bilstein shocks and you will have a bomb proof setup. If you just want a nice 4x4 conversion for getting into the good camping spots then the Salem Kroger is a great choice. Mine is Salem Kroger but it just has a stock Dana 60 front and a stock Dana 60 rear. It's considered a little weak if I was to run big heavy tires and locking differentials. If you plan lockers then get the SMB premium stuff and never worry about beating your rig to get it thru anything. If you go with any of the others then drive it easy like you would any stock 4x4. Good luck!
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #3

hey stumpy -
the difference in base price between S&K and SMB 4x4 is that S&K is about $1500 cheaper. I am putting front ARB locker, 34 - 35 inch Toyo tires. I worry about the repair/maintenance of SMB system becaiuse all aftermarket aprts. I think the stock Ford parts address that issue.
What is your experience?

As far as 4X4, i go to the off off-road places - can be deep sand desert washes and terrain on BLM trails, forest trails in Sierras, etc. Do that in 2008 range Rover and a 2009 Tacoma 4x4 TRD - all stock. Don't care about hard core rock/boulder crawling just getting far(ther) away for solitude.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

I think the standard Salem Kroeger approach is to retain a coil spring front end on the 4x4 conversion like Quigley and Quadvan. SMB uses leaf springs, but SK would probably do the same if you wanted as they seem more into customizing each rig.

The Ford axle and transfer case are fine products; however, for the relatively small cost delta, I'd go with SMB as the Atlas t-case and Dynatrak Pro axle are gold standard 4x4 equipment. I'd upgrade to Deaver springs if you can afford them too. An added plus is all your mods are done under one roof - might get you out camping sooner.

Our selling Ford dealer had to yank our transfer case, transmission, and fuel tank because of a leaking rear main engine seal and didn't make any issues about the Quigley parts. I'm hoping for the same treatment if I ever went in for warranty work on Quigley-only parts. I can see the "you need to talk with Quigley about this" dialog from the Ford service rep which would be a real pain to deal with Pennsylvania. I'm having an annoying issue with noise/vibration coming from the transfer case shift lever and I emailed Quigley about it and they kind of confirmed to me that a local Ford dealer wouldn't likely accept that as warranty work.

I don't think you can really go wrong with Salem Kroeger, Quadvan, or SMB as they all do fine work. It comes down to what equipment you want and how much are you willing to pay.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #5

hey switchfoot - good input. WRT your last sentence, I want the best equip but I can't decide what "best" is for me. I'm concerned about warranty repair, as I mentioned, and ride quality on the highway, which is where all of us spend 90% of the time driving our SMBs.

Thinking on what you and Stumpy say, I think I've decided to go with SMB. Methinks I'm worried too much - too much "thinking" .... maybe?

Tell me about Deaver springs and why - I know there are threads and I will read them ... again .... but tell me why you say Deaver if you could, Switch.

And also, stump and switch, I'm going to post on General/tech my build list for comments - look for that later if you can and feel free to make comments. Prolly in next day or so I will have that posted.
Thx!
warholic
Old 08-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Switchfoot

If ambitious off-road excursions are not envisioned for your rig, the SMB 4x4 option will likely be overkill. There is considerable debate whether coil or leaf springs are better off-road and which one has better ride quality, but all new Ford, Chevy, and Dodge 4x4s have coil spring front ends. Asphalt road manners take priority for a factory vehicle.

Deaver is a custom leaf spring manufacturer in Santa Ana (about 15 minutes from me). They custom make spring sets and are noted to have much better ride quality and articulation than factory springs. They don't work on coil spring front ends.

If money is tight, I think Quigley is still the least expensive 4x4 option compared to the other three and they can probably drop ship to SMB as well.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:49 PM   #7

See also posts by Buji in the following:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie....php?f=3&t=272
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie....php?f=3&t=366
Old 08-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #8

Interestig stuff here. My 02 is a leaf spring front. I wonder if thats still an option with SK?
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:29 AM   #9

jage - thx.
good stuff
Isearched the topic first b4 I posted but I missed these. Thx

Now I have to rethink my decision......again.
One thing on the SMB - the front end is clean looking - everything tucked up high - compared to S&K with stock Ford F350 front end.