Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 05:36 PM   #11

I have a couple vans but have the van bug but most of my friends are getting the bug also. Finding diesel vans are hard to come by in the NW so always looking for another project or solid van

Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
I should tell you there is not much improvement to be made on an Advanced 4X4 system by switching to FOX Shocks without addressing the springs first and even then you are limited.

Again, if it is within budget and fits your needs - I'd go for it.
I like to get things right - I'm an Engineer on a 440ft diesel electric Ferry in Seattle - I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering also...

A lot of my suspension experience comes from Jeeps, Mtn Bikes, and vibro isolators on medium speed diesels (4000 hp) etc

Again I like to get things right so I can travel in the snow, ice, dirt etc

It's a bummer when you need to fix something way off the beaten path but that's the way it goes... Preventative maintence
StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #13

I've got an Advanced 4x4 conversion. My ride quality vastly improved once I got the shocks replaced but my shocks were bad when I bought it. I've had very good luck getting info about replacement parts from them via Facebook messenger. Whoever is answering their Facebook messages is doing so quickly. My wife never had a problem getting them on the phone.
rexracer530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexracer530 View Post
I've got an Advanced 4x4 conversion. My ride quality vastly improved once I got the shocks replaced but my shocks were bad when I bought it. I've had very good luck getting info about replacement parts from them via Facebook messenger. Whoever is answering their Facebook messages is doing so quickly. My wife never had a problem getting them on the phone.
Good to know thanks... I got a hold of the boss and at least they have a record of this conversion...

btw I've been eyeing some Ambulances online... Seems like a good way to go... I like that many have the dual alternator set up and lots of wiring... Locally there is a mtn biker/ pro trail builder that bought one and little by little he's converting it.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:45 PM   #15

Well I can tell on this rig that due to some really heavy steel custom bumpers and side runners that this rig is under sprung...

I crawled under it and later took it out and tested it in the city and at highway speed...

In the city down in an industrial area I accidentally drove through some really uneven concrete near some decommissioned railroad tracks (no exposed RR ties - wavy cement)...

It felt like the front end was hitting the bump stops most of the time on this rutted cement... at least it has Bilsteins on the front end...

I swear the t-case shifter is seized... Looks like one of the Novak t-cases and the shifter is seized...
Old 08-04-2016, 11:50 PM   #16

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaBallard View Post
It felt like the front end was hitting the bump stops most of the time
It was.

The Bilsteins won't help with the bottoming out.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaBallard View Post
It felt like the front end was hitting the bump stops most of the time on this rutted cement...
Yeah. It felt that way because it was.

That ride is a feature of many advanced conversions... I don't say all because they're all a little different, but that's the issue that BajaSMB mentioned with the short leafs.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:53 PM   #18

D'oh. Ramsey beat me to it.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #19

Garage
So let me start by saying this. If you have no problem spending the money to get this rig where you want and get it cheap enough then it's not so bad. But go into it expecting to spend around 10k just on the suspension if you want to swap the front end out and the rear springs.

As far as handling goes, I added fox shocks (universal/ performance series) on mine and thought it greatly improved the ride. I'm not sure how much Agile's shocks are but if they are close in price I would go to them. I had the long front springs which actually was very comfy on straight roads but when it would come time for evasive maneuvers, just start praying.

Brakes are garbage.

I also hated the fact that I had no idea what was on the rig. And don't bother calling Advanced, they won't know.

If the van is in fact everything you ever wanted and just happens to have an advanced system then at the right price I say go for it and do the work. If the van is a standard van that could be found 2wd for the same price I say save yourself the headache and just go the clean slate route.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #20

I've owned two older advance vans and actually thought they rode good (everyone has their own opinion to what rides good), they didn't buck me around, certainly was a stiffer ride, felt like an one ton truck. I thought they rode better than my quigley. I would only deal with Randy there and yes they have been hard to get a hold of at times but have been very helpful when i finally get through, i needed parts on a number of occasions and i had to give them the vin and they pulled up the file on the van to tell me what was used. So my opinion is similar to others, if its the right van for you and everything checks out, def get it, i personally would not be swayed by the conversion, there are a lot of Advance vans running around with happy owners, prob more than Ujor and Agile combined, they've been doing it for so long. Having a few vans with newer conversions (Ujoint and Quad van) Baja is right, times and 4wd conversions are changing, there's better options IF your putting a new conversion under a van.
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote