Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #1

Advanced 4x4 experience

My question is have any of you good people worked with these guy's? Do they answer the phone when you are looking for parts? Anybody that's run their gear what can you tell me about their system?

I've found a van to build out. The 4x4 was done by Advanced 4 Wheel Drive systems around 2000.

I have intel that the front end suspension was submerged in mud. Work was done up here in WA for a rebuild on the brakes and one of the hubs.

I have a relationship w/a fabricator in SLC that knows the Powerstrokes well, so them getting parts from Advanced one would think shouldn't be a problem. They have already found me 2 vans that I rejected due to structural rust on the underside.

After I rebuild the 4R100 it's going down to SLC in the Fall for build out.

This thing was sort of a "barn find" a friend of a friend of a friend new it was sitting at a cabin about 4 hrs away from the city, where I live.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1250.jpg  

StraightOuttaBallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:42 PM   #2

There's several threads about this, lots of opinions.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-slc-4509.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-4x4-9080.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ive-10604.html

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...nced-8275.html

And probably more!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:36 PM   #3

There is that saying "... how many at-a-boys does it take to cancel out one oh-sh!t moment ..."
Old 08-04-2016, 06:12 AM   #4

If you pass on the van can you share the information on it? I am located in Seattle and looking for a rig to rebuild. I have no experience with advanced but I'm sure any parts can be replaced rebuilt without dealing with them.

Rob
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:17 AM   #5

I have an Advanced Conversion (2008 E350RB). Bought the van used in Jan 2014 with 82K miles on it. It's been fine. There are a few things I'd like to improve on the suspension but overall, no issues.

A few things on my van (and a few other Advanced conversions around here)...it had late model chevy 2500/suburban front rotors and calipers....I've since put stock 2008+ E series calipers and F450 rotors on my rig.

One other thing Advanced does is install a welded tube adapter for the transfer case.....apparently this avoids having to disassemble the trans tail for the transfer case install. The length of this tube results in a slightly shorter gas tank than other typical conversions.

Advanced typically uses a vanilla NP 271 transfer case I think.

There is at least one member on here that had very bad luck with Advanced, username BMWBILO I think. Rallypanam may have linked to some of his threads.

When I was buying my van I called Randy at Advanced with the ID number from that sticker and asked a number of questions.....he was not very forthcoming although he did eventually answer them.

In my case I'm quite mechanically inclined so I'm not planning on relying on Advanced for anything. When it comes time to replace tie rod ends, etc I'll take the old part to NAPA or equivalent (or post pictures and questions here) to find a replacement.
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Getting parts is not a problem at all. You need to find an experienced Off Road shop to do your work, not a Ford Dealer and not PEP Boys - someone who knows what a Dana 44 or 60 is and how 4x4 suspensions work.

The real issue with an Advanced 4x4 conversation is ride quality. If you can accept the ride quality of a short leaf sprung suspension and the van suits your needs and price point, get it checked out by a good mechanic and go for it.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:23 AM   #7

One thing I noticed in all of those older threads is there was really no mention of handling and ride quality.

The bar was raised a few years ago and ride quality is now front and center.

Have you noticed what the upgrade shock that everyone is turning to is? That change came with the RIP Kit and Long Travel Suspension 4x4 conversation.

Game changer.

AgileOffRoad.com
Old 08-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrobert10 View Post
If you pass on the van can you share the information on it? I am located in Seattle and looking for a rig to rebuild. I have no experience with advanced but I'm sure any parts can be replaced rebuilt without dealing with them.

Rob
I'm planning on buying it - driving it for a few months to get to know it then building it up... I may decide to sell it in a few months

Have you seen this? https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/ctd/5707110903.html
Old 08-04-2016, 09:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
One thing I noticed in all of those older threads is there was really no mention of handling and ride quality.

The bar was raised a few years ago and ride quality is now front and center.

Have you noticed what the upgrade shock that everyone is turning to is? That change came with the RIP Kit and Long Travel Suspension 4x4 conversation.

Game changer.
I definitely appreciate your input... I may end up switching 4x systems after awhile - your set up with fox tuned suspension looks really good - I've always wanted Fox on a vehicle - I've been running Fox on Mtn Bikes for over a decade now...
Old 08-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #10

I should tell you there is not much improvement to be made on an Advanced 4X4 system by switching to FOX Shocks without addressing the springs first and even then you are limited.

Again, if it is within budget and fits your needs - I'd go for it.

AgileOffRoad.com