Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #31

Just to add to the Bilstein database I've bent the shaft on two of the 4 installed by Deaver when they did my springs in 2013. In the process I learned that contrary to what Deaver advertises, the shocks are not custom-valved to their specs. You can buy the same shock off the shelf from any distributor.

JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #32

A big thank you to John at Agile.
The front shocks are on just in time before heading west to the Mojave Road next week. To catch everyone up, as you may spot in the picture I have Deaver springs in the front of a normal SMB'ed 4x4. So it was a challenge for John to find the ideal core shock to re valve. These are so far yet another big improvement to the ride/handling. At least around town so far. And the bilsteins I took off? they had no (zero) resistance on compression and were nearly frozen on extension. One was notchy when moving and neither had any gas in them. Also, they were way, way too long. I can report more about the Agile/fox's after more miles if anyone wishes but I'm pretty confident this is the way to go.

- Eric
ShuttlePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:05 PM   #33

Denver area installer?

Is the RIP kit easily done in the driveway? Or, if not, does anyone have a trusted installer in the Denver/Boulder area?
skiingjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:13 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiingjohn View Post
Is the RIP kit easily done in the driveway? Or, if not, does anyone have a trusted installer in the Denver/Boulder area?
Depends on your driveway! And your tool collection.

The basic RIP kit is new front coils and new shocks all around. Shocks are easy, you can remove and replace without even jacking up the van.

Coils you will need to jack the van up, and not from the axle.. you need to remove the weight on the axle to remove the coil. So if you have a way to do that, it's also pretty easy.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #35

Very cool. Need to snap some pics tonight then will send in a request for quote.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:37 AM   #36

John is the Best Of The Best! I had an installer lined up and John handled my fulfillment such that I had my RIP installed 2 weeks after my quote request to AOR. (Custom valved Fox shocks, springs and leaf add). It was probably a baby order for him but I truly felt valued as a customer and now I'm a very happy one. Could feel the benefits on steep cut-back roads in West Virginia last week.

Doug my installer said some things took longer and others took a little less time than expected but it was somewhat challenging (and they do a lot of 4x4 work). John told me to pass on his cell # as he had pointers to make the job go smoother but Doug decided NOT to call him. So I teased him about it being like a man asking directions, which just doesn't happen. The reply I got to that is if they keep making right turns they'll get somewhere eventually.

Anyhow they needed a different (wider) lift to work under my quigley so there's that.
JoeH there's such great resources on this forum you will do fine I bet
Old 09-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie O View Post
JoeH there's such great resources on this forum you will do fine I bet
Yep, this forum is a great resource. My intent posting in this thread was to add another shock choice data point. Regarding Bilteins, if sourced with the Deaver Spring package they are most assuredly not custom-valved for the application. The shaft is also a thinner diameter than Fox.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:38 PM   #38

Thanks Agile! John helped me diagnose and fix my death wobble as well as answer all my RIP kit questions. Very happy with the RIP kit on the highway, haven't had to chance to take it offroad yet but I'm sure I'll be happy.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:38 AM   #39
B^2

I'm looking at purchasing an 03 Quigley 7.3L regular bodied van and getting the RIP kit, given that I don't yet own the van it's difficult for me to take pictures to send in for a quote. Can anyone ballpark me what kind of price I'd be looking at?

What kind of quotes for labor are people getting to install the kit? I'm in MA so I'd have to have it shipped to me.
B^2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #40

My kit was $991 but also included new bushings all around the front. I think the install was around $600.