Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #1

Agile Offroad RIP Kit

I'm planning on doing a custom 4x4 conversion done by my mechanic and starting to gather a list of stuff that I will need.

will the Agile offroad kit work for custom installs or only work for quigley and quadvan conversions?

Thanks!

rean1mator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #2

Re: Agile Offroad RIP Kit

That depends on what sort of custom conversion you are doing, or more specifically what suspension set up. My understanding is that its designed for coils (Quigley and Quadvan) and not leafs, at least not yet. There is quite a bit of info if you dig into the topic in the 4x4 section.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 01:56 PM   #3

Ok have been doing a lot of searches on here and google.

The van was lifted with I believe an older Camburg kit. Coils up front with rancho shocks and leaf in the rear. Not sure which shocks tho'.

Still trying to figure out if I source all parts myself and have my shop do it with Dana 60 or just send it on down to Agile to get it done. Will go custom route if I can get the price well under Agile's price. Researching that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH
That depends on what sort of custom conversion you are doing, or more specifically what suspension set up. My understanding is that its designed for coils (Quigley and Quadvan) and not leafs, at least not yet. There is quite a bit of info if you dig into the topic in the 4x4 section.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #4

If you plan to make everything yourself then there are infinite variables for the shock location, length, etc. What axle are you using or what suspension style are you starting with?
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #5

Hey rean1mator,

Ujoint off-road offers an outstanding leaf spring 4x4 conversion. Ujointoffroad.com. I'm considering moving up to a 6 inch lift from 4 inch set up. I don't have the time to do the swap until spring, but Check out the website and let me know if you might be interested. Only about 300miles of off-road, 35k total mileage since conversion
Diamond Eye Exhuast
Dp Tuner
calebmogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:07 AM   #6

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I'm sitting in my SMB in a PEMEX parking lot getting ready to go to bed and catch a few hours of sleep before heading to Conception Bay for tomorrow night and then home in Rancho Nuevo Saturday night. We have Jan's two cats sleeping on the Penthouse bed which Jan enclosed with netting and her Lab Weimaraner mix sleeping in his kennel outside.

Glen is holding down the fort with one 4X4 Conversation just about finished another just started and two RIP Kits being installed tomorrow. We have one of the last 2014 E-Series vans built coming in for 4x4 Conversion and full complement of Aluminess blackness. This will be the second new 2014 we have cut into in the last few months. Any wonder why I've run away to Baja.

We have installed custom valved FOX Shocks on all kinds of Vans from a 4X4 ASTRO Van to Sportsmobile, QuadVan, Ujoint, Advanced 4x4, Quigley...

We like to think of Agile Off-Road as a Boutique Shop that puts out a unique service and products for select clients because we enjoy what we do and the people we work with.

We can get spread pretty thin at times and leave potential customers hanging, but while we are still having fun with this we will still try to help.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rean1mator
Still trying to figure out if I source all parts myself and have my shop do it with Dana 60 or just send it on down to Agile to get it done. Will go custom route if I can get the price well under Agile's price. Researching that now.
If a premium ride is a priority, I would certainly recommend going with Ramsey's IFS setup from the get-go. Maybe you can take care of the T-case and fuel tank, then send it to Ramsey for the suspension/axle work?

I have a feeling that if you did the whole conversion at another shop, then sent it Ramsey to "fix" the ride, you'll end up paying close to what it would cost to do it right in the first place.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #8

Warning: mini rant ahead:

Why is it that people do not post there location (even if it is just the state) and what rig (even the basics like 2003 E350 2wd) ? It would be so much more helpful when considering answering advice seeking questions instead of one having to guess or ask.

rant over

caringb x 5
Old 12-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #9

I agree totally. I don't fault rean1mator or any other member for this really. I completely understand the desire for privacy, and I rarely put that kind of stuff in my signature or info box on a new forum, but it is helpful to answer questions like this when asked.

So where are you rean1mator? Just your state is plenty to give more specific help.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #10

Yeah, it was a toss up between Agile and going custom. Concerned about his lead time and being able to get fit in to do the install tho'. He seems pretty busy at the moment.

I'm also concerned about the TTB setup. All the research I've been able to find on TTB suspensions do not seem very favorable. Dependability and alignment issues being the two big ones for me. But if others would care to comment on this that would be great.

My shop has recommended full coils with Dana 60 using a radius arm setup. I need it to ride well on highway without drifting/floating like it does now and terrain such as death valley, downieville, etc. nothing crazy. The current camburg setup on rancho 5000's are very harsh even on mellow washboard, dirt roads.

Any input is welcome on the positive and negatives of doing custom vs agile. I think it's sometimes hard to get accurate honest opinions on a specific conversion when you've just dropped 10-15K on a conversion. You tend to be stuck in that honeymoon period trying to convince yourself that it's so amazing and completely disregard the negatives and issues.

Also, I've got a '96 7.3L Diesel eb with a camburg lift on it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quote:
Originally Posted by rean1mator
If a premium ride is a priority, I would certainly recommend going with Ramsey's IFS setup from the get-go. Maybe you can take care of the T-case and fuel tank, then send it to Ramsey for the suspension/axle work?

I have a feeling that if you did the whole conversion at another shop, then sent it Ramsey to "fix" the ride, you'll end up paying close to what it would cost to do it right in the first place.