Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #41
Orv

Garage
Good catch, a tie rod end will definitely make it wander, and they're in that scary "can kill you if it fails" category. I've also seen them cause really wicked shimmy on curves, like "snatch the steering wheel out of your grip" bad.

Orv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
It's also my understanding that the Fox steering dampers are simply a regular shock that has been re-valved to have the same amount of dampening in both direction as opposed to different amounts of compression and rebound. At least, that's how John at Agile built mine.
There are two different types of Fox steering stabilizers, IFP and ATS:

https://www.ridefox.com/filter.php?m...zer&ref=topnav

What you're describing is accurate for the IFP (Individual Floating Piston) type. What REF was describing is accurate for the ATS (Advance Through Shaft) type. The IPS types are not adjustable, but the ATS are. An additional advantage of the ATS type is that you don't have nitrogen pushing the piston in either direction, so the stabilizer isn't pushing the tie rod to one side (hence the reason for dual/opposing IFP setups).

The ATS is really nice, especially the adjustability--just be prepared for some shock when you see the price! It made a big difference for my Quigley over the Ford OEM stabilizer, which was worn out and had a dead zone in the middle. Worth the money IMO, but everyone has a different value system.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #43

Komrade, Hi i am glad you found an alignment shop and mechanic that are working with you.... otherwise:
What They Said
Sounds like you are off to a great start- you have already learned more than I absorbed since I bought HellBetty in 2016. Last month I just added RedHead gearbox/ BGR dual Fox stabilizer/ and replaced Agile RIP Fox shocks (one leaked after 2 years.) Thanks for the great thread- it has given me more insight on mine... I usually don't understand mechanical stuff until after I need it

Otherwise I would not compare the play on your steering to anything on a Tacoma or Subaru... unless it looks like my son's Tacom-ud w/rack and pinion!

I need to get the Moog adj bushing on mine and a Forscan (who names this stuff? Hmmm let me guess- Guys.) Took my PSI down to 55 after trial and error- Made all the diff! I'd like to change my tires but all that work cost me enough for now. SO Worth it!
Old 10-11-2018, 04:17 PM   #44
rnj

Rock Auto shows the Moog 8986 for $5.11 each when I just checked. When I saw them a couple of months ago they were $1.90 each so I ordered them. Came in CARQUEST box showing part number K8986 and they were stamped Ingalls 594.
Hankook Dynapro ATs 225/75-16 LRE
New to me 10/2008 - 2nd owner
rnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #45

That's a good deal. Unfortunately Moog 8986's did not fit my 2004 E350 Quigley.
I called Quigley and they said the front uses F350 Axle.
They also said recommended caster for that is 1.5-5.5 positive. Lady I spoke to recommended I do not go above 5 (won't handle well). The mechanic also didn't think we can get that high..

I also jacked up PSI to 70 on front tires (from 60), and 80 (from 70) in the back.. I think they're going back down, after we are done playing with caster.

I'll post a pic of steering stabilizer too. I haven't planned on focusing on it until after I am somewhat satisfied with handling of the van. I am pretty sure it's FOX 985-24-046: https://www.amazon.com/Fox-985-24-04...dp/B01E4060K0/

I'll update this thread later this week when I get the van/truck back.
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_382 View Post
One other thought. Tire pressure can make a huge difference in the way my van drives. At the factory E350 pressure of 80 psi, it's all over the road. When I have it at 52 psi based on my vans weight, it's much better. There are a few threads here about tire pressure requirements at different van weights.
Can someone point to some best practices (vs weight) on tire pressure for the van?

Thanks
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #47

The culprit! All good now!
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #48

Everything I've read about caster on these vans has been to max it out (5-7* if possible).

I have the Agile steering stabilizer and mine does not have any of the characteristics you describe. The wheel returns on its own after a turn and it doesn't feel heavy at all.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #49

Congratulations on getting this debugged! Stuff like this can be a pain to root cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv View Post
I've never seen a stabilizer that had a bump or detent.
I have. One of mine had a massive detent after I hit a bear with it. I removed and eventually replaced it, because not being able to turn right was going to be a problem.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #50
Orv

Garage
Hah. Yeah, I guess bending it would definitely put a detent in it, wouldn't it?

Once, after a logging road excursion, I discovered my VW Bus turned more tightly to one side than the other. I eventually pulled off the skidpan under the nose and discovered a shiny spot where the pitman arm was hitting a dent.