Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2016, 10:14 PM   #1

Air Lockers, lsd, Detroit, truetrac advise needed

I am putting together a van and I am trying to figure out what the best setup for the front and rear axle will be...

The front axle is a Dana 60... The rear axle is a partial float Dana 60, so I plan on replacing it with either a full floating Dana 60 or a 10.25 sterling... My options are wide open...

I live in Montana and travel to baja... So snow, ice, mud, sand, water crossings are all relevant...

I have advise from a few people and i am left confused...

I am willing to spend money, so price isn't a factor...

Can you help me understand what you have done on your vehicles and how it has worked out in different conditions?

Thanks in advance

D

Davidl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:52 PM   #2

If price isn't a factor, wouldn't air lockers front and rear be the best all around setup? Ive read that open diffs are best for ice, but you would want posi for sand and offroading. With the air, you can pick and choose when you want an open diff or locked.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:40 AM   #3

Ditto on the lockers. If money isn't an object, get them. "Better to have and not need than to need and not have." Plus in many situations they're a safety feature.

Btw, there's a good primer on axles, lockers, gearing and such here. (No affiliation.)

FWIW, I'd do a Sterling 10.5 over a 10.25. An '05-'07 like Chris says because the wider WMS to WMS is important when SMB's get heavy. I've read a couple posts about the narrower axles having issues when you add spacers. (Can't remember the threads and didn't save the links, unfortunately.)

PM me if you want more info on this. It sounds like you're going through what I went through a few months ago. Happy to help you move through it quicker than I did...
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
Ditto on the lockers. If money isn't an object, get them. "Better to have and not need than to need and not have." Plus in many situations they're a safety feature.

Btw, there's a good primer on axles, lockers, gearing and such here. (No affiliation.)

FWIW, I'd do a Sterling 10.5 over a 10.25. An '05-'07 like Chris says because the wider WMS to WMS is important when SMB's get heavy. I've read a couple posts about the narrower axles having issues when you add spacers. (Can't remember the threads and didn't save the links, unfortunately.)

PM me if you want more info on this. It sounds like you're going through what I went through a few months ago. Happy to help you move through it quicker than I did...

Your right , I meant a 10.5"... I knew when I was typing something didn't sound right...

The issue with dual lockers is on snow and ice in conditions other than a straight line...

I have been told that lockers will be worse, because in effect they will be pushing me off the road due to the inside wheel slippage...

Some have recommended factory LSD or truetrac...

I will read the primer... This aspect of the axles and what kind of traction control is new to me...
Old 09-05-2016, 09:37 AM   #5

My pick would be Tru-Track. I drive in enough bad snowy/icy conditions lockers wouldn't work for me. If you picked up a new rear axle with OEM limited slip, you'd probably be fine with that too, and then you can upgrade if you wear those clutches out.

Surprisingly the clutches in my 10.5"/Dana 70 are still grippy.... I always end up breaking stuff first, except this time around I think my pinion bearing is toast.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidl13 View Post
Your right , I meant a 10.5"... I knew when I was typing something didn't sound right...

The issue with dual lockers is on snow and ice in conditions other than a straight line...

I have been told that lockers will be worse, because in effect they will be pushing me off the road due to the inside wheel slippage...

Some have recommended factory LSD or truetrac...

I will read the primer... This aspect of the axles and what kind of traction control is new to me...
That is why selectable lockers like ARBs are so great. When not engaged you have open differentials. Although selectable comes at a price.
TeleSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #7

Front and rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
My pick would be Tru-Track. I drive in enough bad snowy/icy conditions lockers wouldn't work for me. If you picked up a new rear axle with OEM limited slip, you'd probably be fine with that too, and then you can upgrade if you wear those clutches out.

Surprisingly the clutches in my 10.5"/Dana 70 are still grippy.... I always end up breaking stuff first, except this time around I think my pinion bearing is toast.
So do you have factory limited slip on the rear and true trac on the front?

Can you have limited slip and lockers on a single axle? Limited slip for snow and ice and engage lockers in sand and mud???

Or are they mutually exclusive technologies?
Old 09-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
Site Team

Garage
Mine does. ARB front, LSD rear.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:27 PM   #9

Can I have Detroit true trac on the rear axle and be able to lock the rear with an air locker? Or is it one or the other?
Old 09-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #10

YES! You can have the best of both!

Sounds like you need an Auburn ECTED. It's a traditional clutch-based limited slip with an electric locker. Previously it was only available for light-duty axles, but they have a Dana-70 and Ford 10.25/10.5" version now.

Auburn Ected Locking Differentials │ West Coast Differentials