Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2019, 02:47 AM   #1

Garage
Air spring install

I’ve been wanting to install some air stings on the rear axle so I can have some adjustability for varying loads. I have a 2004 e350 Quigley SMB. It looks pretty tight back there. It’s about 6” from the spring plates to the top of the frame. Any suggestions?
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3577.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	29538

Name:	IMG_3578.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	29539

Name:	IMG_3579.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	29540

Name:	IMG_3580.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	29541
Most of the kits I see are for cab chassis drw.

brushogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:42 PM   #2

That stopper that Quigley uses is strange. I'd think you would have to cut that off to install any air bag.

I bought a kit, and it didn't work for my lifted van. I plan on just building my own kit.
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #3

Garage
I hope to find one that will work off the shelf since I no longer have a place to do any fabricating.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:01 AM   #4

You do not want a "between the frame and axle" airbag kit. These limit travel so much, they make it terrible.

Instead, go with an outboard kit. You can use a double-convoluted airbag, and leave it "floating" so it isn't constrained. U-Joint Off-road sells the appropriate version as a kit. Or you can use the Firestone "Sportrite" tapered long-travel airbag kit. This one rides the best IMO, but doesn't tolerate driving deflated so you'd want onboard air with this kit.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #5

Garage
I have the sportrite kit. Easy install and they work well. Only suggestion is if you have rear air and heat to make sure that the lines do not touch the bag bracket at all. Took 4-5 years but just barely touching that bracket wore a hole through one of the hard lines. When that happens all your coolant ends up on the ground and they hold a lot of expensive coolant.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
You do not want a "between the frame and axle" airbag kit. These limit travel so much, they make it terrible.

Instead, go with an outboard kit. You can use a double-convoluted airbag, and leave it "floating" so it isn't constrained. U-Joint Off-road sells the appropriate version as a kit. Or you can use the Firestone "Sportrite" tapered long-travel airbag kit. This one rides the best IMO, but doesn't tolerate driving deflated so you'd want onboard air with this kit.
Thanks for the plug

Our kit won't work with a stock spring, needs more room, 6" lift.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #7

Garage
Thanks so much for all the advice guys!!! I’ll check out the sportrite kit.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:21 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
I have the sportrite kit. Easy install and they work well. Only suggestion is if you have rear air and heat to make sure that the lines do not touch the bag bracket at all. Took 4-5 years but just barely touching that bracket wore a hole through one of the hard lines. When that happens all your coolant ends up on the ground and they hold a lot of expensive coolant.

Thanks for the reply. Is your van a Quigley conversion? If so, could you post a pic or two so I can see what mods if any I need to make? Advice like this is why I love this forum.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:09 AM   #9

Garage
drivers side. note how close the lines are to the airbag bracket. when you install add some rubber or something so they can’t connect with the bracket. with enough dirt road travel they will eventually wear on the edge of the bracket.

passenger side.

it’s been a while since the install but I don’t recall having to do any mods. iirc, it was a bolt on affair other than the onboard air system we did at the same time.

oh, and yes my van was converted by quigley. in all honesty I’ll likely remove the airbags when I replace my worn out rear leaf springs.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 03:33 PM   #10

I took the Firestone Ride-Rite kit off my 1988 F350, and used it on my E350. My van is lifted with blocks, the way these mount, the airbag kit doesn't know the difference between stock height and lifted with blocks, as the lower bracket bridges the leaf spring plate. If I remember right, I had to drill some, but not all of the holes in the frame for the upper mount, maybe trim the body at the pinch weld seam with my grinder, everything else was cake.