Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2007, 05:56 AM   #11

Bumpers

Jeffrey, I'm just envious. Although I'm not a neat nut, I try to wash my van after particularly dirty trips, but that's proven to be mostly futile. Here in the frozen desert of the Northern Rockies, we tend to get brief, dirty rainstorms and snow showers, almost like mini-dust storms. As a result, the SMB looks like it's just been driven down a long, dusty road, when it's just been sitting in the driveway.

I'm very impressed with the clarity and sharpness of your photography. What camera/lense setup are you using for these SMB pics? I take it that you are a professional photographer as well?

One more note on bumpers. One person on the SMB owners group on Yahoo mentioned that a friend of theirs got their second SMB without custom bumpers just to make the rig less noticeable and cut down on the number of SMB questions they got. People certainly notice my Aluminess bumpers right off the bat, but I think that for possible defense against collisions with deer that they are worth the price.

Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #12

Garage
Ed,

I'm sort of a professional photog, but I still have my day job! I use an assortment of cameras, including a Canon 1Ds, Panasonic/Leica DMC-FZ50, Pentax 67 medium format and a couple of 4x5 Large format setups. All my images are put through photoshop for final output. I've had a half dozen shows around town over the last few years.

Yeah, all our rigs get noticed. I really don't think a bumper change would diminish that.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:41 PM   #13

Reunel Bumpers

I have a set of Reunel bumpers Front & Back but am wondering what addition features do they produce? I have been to the web site & don't see much in the line of add ons, such as tire swing outs, box mounting, Etc. I wish Tire Gate would start producing a one piece bolt on swing out for the SMB. They do the truck stuff but it seems like they could somehow add this to their line. I wrote them an email but got no return. Anyone else produce a "full size" (not Jeep size) add on swing out assembly?
Thanks Woot..............
WOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:19 AM   #14

Garage
Woot-
i too have Reunels front and rear. My rear came w/o any of the swingarms for either the spare tire or the cargo box.

I just got my hands on an Aluminess Baja box along w/ a swingarm Aluminess makes to hold a box, it's sorta like their tire carrier but beefier. The swingarm mounts in between the bumper and the frame using the stck holes. I'll let you know how it goes together in a week or so once I install it. Sounds like I should not have to really modify anything - we'll see....

-d
Old 04-02-2008, 09:04 PM   #15

Bumpers

A aluminum bumper keeps the weight down. Remember the van was not designed to carry that much weight out front. It will cause increased wear on ALL the front end parts ( the steering box, tie rods, drag link ball joints, brakes,shocks). The aluminum is plenty strong. With a steel bumper you won't notice the wear for 20000 or 30000 miles.But it will wear alot more.
The only drawback to me is the cost.. The aluminum will never rust.

Jeff

P.S. Use a synthetic rope on the winch.