Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #1

Anybody tried an "add-a-leaf" system???

Couple of builders like Skyjacker, Hellwig helper springs & superspring helper springs, etc. http://www.truckspring.com/suspension-p ... rings.aspx

Basically adds a leaf spring to your existing setup. Can create up to 2 inches of lift. Anybody ever tried this on a van? Any thoughts? I've got a 2002 Chevy 3/4 ton van with Quigley first generation IFS 4x4. Its just a conversion van so no extra weight. My front end is a little higher than the rear and hoping this will level it out a little and get that rear end off the ground a little before I add some 265's.

I used them on my old z71 pickup and they worked really great.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #2

Re: Anybody tried an "add-a-leaf" system???

It's cheaper to just add a leaf to your existing spring packs. Then this way there are not brackets to break, and will still leave space for airbags if you end up needing them later.

I pulled my extra leaves from an F350 spring set at a salvage yard. Cheaper then ordering new ones individually, and were long enough I could put them in the correct order (Most single add a leafs are short, which means they don't fit right with the lower overload on the Fords).
Old 01-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #3

I had Les Schwab add a leaf to my 1992 Advance 4wheel drive systems converted van right after I got it. It did the trick for leveling it out. The only complaint I have and I'm not 100% sure the add a leaf created the problem is a driveline vibration. I think by raising the rear end the driveline angle was changed just enough to give me a vibration at higher speeds when I let off the gas. I didn't really notice the issue till I changed gear ratios from 3.55's to 4.10's. That pushed my rpm up into a higher range than I was used to driving the van and made the vibration more noticeable. I've had the driveline gone through and rebalanced twice and can't nail the cause if the vibration.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #4

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Add-a-leaf is a cheap way to do what you want - I have done it many times and will again.

It is not too difficult to do under the vehicle, one side at a time, and don't remove the main leaf from the shackles but disconnect the shock from the axle. Basic hand tools and a floor jack is all you need - large C-clamps really help.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #5

An Add a leaf is not always a full length leaf. Shorter than the stock full length springs (not sure if thats true on the vans).
Stocks springs can sag/bend/collapse around the short add a leaf, deforming your stock springs and losing your height you initially gained.
On a heavy E250/350 I would certainly put in a full length leaf which any/many spring shops can accomplish or supply.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #6

I had Salem Kroger add a leaf when they did my 4X4 in 2006. It is saging just a speck now. I will add air bags this year.

On my previous 1990 e250 camper van, I had Deaver Springs re ark the springs in 2002. That solved the sagging problem for me and I saved money.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #7

I took my van to a quality spring guy in Indianapolis and had them add a leaf to the rear. Worked great and raised the rear enough to match the front. About an inch. I think it cost $500. They had make new U-bolts. I took it back after a week or so and had them retorque the bolts at no charge.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
It is not too difficult to do under the vehicle, one side at a time, and don't remove the main leaf from the shackles but disconnect the shock from the axle. Basic hand tools and a floor jack is all you need - large C-clamps really help.
This is how I did mine. I got my Add a Leaf from Chris @ Ujoint. I actually got quite proficient at installing (installed wrong the first time and had to redo). Also retained the stock u bolts.

My Build Thread
SCBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
Site Team

Garage

If you find a shop that does work on heavy vehicles/equipment, adding a leaf is an easy job for them...cost me 120.00 bucks. Took it in at 9AM and got it back by noon.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote