Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #11

Re: Anyone running Brake Man Superbrakes on Ford Stock Brake

My total installed cost was about $1k........can't remember exactly.

As Dave mentioned, biggest change seems to have been reduced brake fade, with a small improvement in stopping power. So at least I'm more confident that the brakes are there when I need them, which obviously means a lot if I've been working them hard.

I'm heading in to see Hubert at BBA later this month and will ask about options for upgrading to f550 brakes on the front. He mentioned this to me on the last visit. My guess is that it will be less than the complete brakeman package.

R

Old 03-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #12

For those interested I changed over to the F550 Brakes recently. I have a 2007 SMB with the Dynatrac Pro Rock 60. I have been putting together a post on the conversion and will try to get it out tonight. The brakes are quite an improvement. The pedal feels like it should. Parts are about $2800 and doable in a day with all the components but I would allow a little more.

Paul
Old 03-09-2011, 09:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
My total installed cost was about $1k........can't remember exactly.

R
That matches my quote since mine only was for parts. Sounds like you got the rotors and pads.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbonesclimber
For those interested I changed over to the F550 Brakes recently. I have a 2007 SMB with the Dynatrac Pro Rock 60. I have been putting together a post on the conversion and will try to get it out tonight. The brakes are quite an improvement. The pedal feels like it should. Parts are about $2800 and doable in a day with all the components but I would allow a little more.

Paul
Looking forward to seeing your post!
ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #15

Was distracted by my wife while posting. Forgot to say I also recently upgraded to the F550 brakes and noticed a huge difference in braking ability, and my van isn't nearly the weight your vans are. I would think the braking difference would be huge for the heavier vans.
ctimrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctimrun
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbonesclimber

Paul
Looking forward to seeing your post!
Me, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb

Does your van still have rear drum brakes?
No, rears are the are the GM 13" disc. FWIW, for whatever reason, the stock fronts are a smaller disc, probably why Quigley thankfully used the Ford front brakes/axle. I don't think I'm close to skidding but maybe I haven't pushed it far enough. Could very well be user error, not using what I have effectively. In any event, looking for a greater safety margin with the wife and kids and all.
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #17

OK. I couldn't remember which years GM had drum and disc. There were a couple years they flip-flopped and went back to drum because of problems with the parking brakes on the disc units.

I wonder if you can bolt up larger calipers to the rear? Maybe something off the pickups? Could be a cheap way to get even batter braking, once you upgrade the fronts.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
OK. I couldn't remember which years GM had drum and disc. There were a couple years they flip-flopped and went back to drum because of problems with the parking brakes on the disc units.

I wonder if you can bolt up larger calipers to the rear? Maybe something off the pickups? Could be a cheap way to get even batter braking, once you upgrade the fronts.
Fantastic idea, thanks!
webbmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:06 PM   #19

I just posted the Late Model Brake Upgrade to a New Post if anyone interested.

Paul