Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2018, 07:19 PM   #11

https://www.lowes.com/pd/HERCULINER-...iABEgK3SvD_BwE

I did the lower 8" of my van with this stuff. It's a mother f'er to work with. Prepping the surface is 99%. Cost was about $70, 2 quarts + 2 chem resistant rollers.
Overall I'd give it 9/10 for durability and looks. I wouldn't do it again because of how horrible the stuff was to work with. Next to impossible to mix.

2x 1987 BMW 535is
1995 BMW 540i6
winmag4582001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #12

considering a face lift for my GTRV

I've been perusing the various threads mentioning spraying the rocker panels with bed liner. I'm trying to decide what I want to do. I started with needing new tires, then thought I'd add new wheels, then began considering the idea of a face lift for my van. Now thinking about bed-liner sprayed on existing running boards, rocker panels, grill and bumpers and adding new tires and wheels, plus removing old GTRV decals/striping.

I included ta current picture plus a (poorly)photo-shopped phot to get an idea of the appearance. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180428_151746.jpg   van-black no decal.jpg  
YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #13

You should definitely do that. I had a similar van and the results were amazing. I used monstaliner. I masked everything, then used acetone to clean everything. Then I rolled it on using the rollers included in the kit. It was super easy and came out great. I did the bumpers and the tire carrier and ladder and it came out great. 8 months in and its still in perfect shape. I removed the running board prior to doing it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Also, I used the 3m pinstripe eraser on the stripes on the side. It took forever, but looks great now.

Before and after photos.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4845.jpg   IMG_4919.jpg  
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #14

Thanks for posting, Grampswrx. I saw other photos of your van and grabbed one earlier for inspiration! I'm now thinking I will remove the running boards and add some hoop steps for accessibility, the proceed with adding the bed liner. Your van looks great! Did you have your van lifted as well?
Old 05-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #15

Yeah, I went with the weldtec 4" kit for a lift. Makes a huge difference both in ride quality and looks.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #16

If you are dealing with protection of the outside of your rocker panels, I'd suggest also taking a look at the inside of your rocker panels as well. I noticed three spots which were small bubbles (1 cm diameter) on my rocker panels; no paint was broken, but I knew these did not come from the factory this way.. On each one, I ended up welding in patches the size of quarters. From the inside of the rocker panels, there are rubber plugs. When I pulled mine, I found many of the rockers packed with silt. I blew each one out with compressed air and then sprayed Fluid Film in each hole. Overall, I am not terribly impressed with the design, as there are square holes punched on the inside of the rockers for attachments like running boards. These holes are not sealed.

I wish I had done this inspection earlier. I hope that I've arrested corrosion, but I've been eyeing flood vans from the south as potential donor bodies just in case.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:35 AM   #17

How about trying a good thick layering of Plasidip, the Camo colours look good and it’s quite hard wearing and never permanent.
RebelRX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:43 AM   #18
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
3M makes paint protection film in various thicknesses that would work perfectly for minimizing or eliminating road debris dents, chips and such to these lower areas of our vans. Were I adding this material I'd wrap the entire rocker panels beginning a few inches up on the doors and continuing down the body and underneath towards the floor no less than 8-10".

I'd wrap the fenders from the rear (nearest the door) to the front (near the bumper) up a few inches continuing into the inside of the wheel opening cutting and trimming so the material wraps around the fender and folds over the formed horizontal edge, pressed into place so the fender becomes almost encapsulated.

Quarter panels would receive the same treatment but I might consider a thin piece of Lexan etc cut to fit inside the wheel well as a sort of a liner, preventing cast off debris from striking the metal surfaces. Then again something like MonstaLiner et al would work perfectly for this too.

Just ideas from a former body shop owner and current van owner.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:05 AM   #19

It begins. The running boards came off.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180509_181437.jpg   IMG_20180509_190146.jpg   IMG_20180509_190155.jpg  
Old 06-23-2018, 11:53 AM   #20

Progress continues

Slowly continue to work on changes to my van. Here's some recent progress.
  1. Decals removed.
  2. Yakima cargo box added.
  3. New tires and wheels mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180515_200505.jpg   IMG_20180528_090623.jpg   IMG_20180622_175913.jpg