Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #1

Applying Truck Bed Coating to lower doors and van body

We have 150,000+ miles on our 2003 SMB. The gravel and rocks that are thrown up from the tires are destroying the paint on the rocker panels, lower part of the doors and van body. After sanding the clear coat, I painted the lower 12” of the van body and doors with Dupli Color truck bed coating. The black tar like paint can be applied with a roller or brush. It looks OK after it dries but flakes off of the van's painted surface very easily.

I assume that most SMBs are having a similar problem with the paint chipping. Has anyone attempted to paint the rocker panels, lower van body and lower part of the doors with a similar material? What product did you use? Would you recommend a particular product?

SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #2

Re: Applying Truck Bed Coating to lower doors and van body

I had the body of my van coated behind the rear wheel wells with Line-X. It's the best in my opinion, looks great & it's held up perfectly. I've been thinking of adding more to cover up some chips that annoy me. Here's a pic when it was new & super shiny:

ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:54 AM   #3

I use Rustoleum bedliner (rattle can) on the front of my dually fenders. It takes several applications to reach the thickness of a pro job, but it works and holds up well.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #4

We bought our van used, and the lower rocker panels were already coated. Sorry, can't say what the material is, but would guess it is Line-X or Rhino Liner or something similar. It is quite thick, about 2 to 3mm proud of the original paint.

Here are a few photos in my gallery that kinda show the stuff.

Going on three years now and no damage at all.

Cheers,
Brent
Old 12-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

I always wondered about and how well it works. I also curious about those auto wraps and what they might look like.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:30 AM   #6

I Have an 04 Chateau quadvan and didn't like the looks of the silver band and pinstripes on the rocker panels of my burgundy colored van. I also wanted to protect my quarter panels and door sills from dings and scratches so I had the rocker panels and sills sprayed at Rhino Linings in Orange County. While there I also decided to have the cavities where the door handles are sprayed to prevent/cover up all of the scratches that accumulate there from fingernails scratching the paint behind the door pulls. They really took their time with the taping and it turned out great. Phil, the owner was great to work with. I really like the look with the aluminess bumpers. My next additions will be the black billet fuel door and a billet grill. The grill will also be sprayed black. I'm also driving up to Logan, Utah on January 1st to have the RSE slider steps installed. I think all of the black accents with the burgundy look great I'll be posting some before/after picks once all of this is done.

2004 QuadVan E350 V8 Chateau
bighodad808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #7

BTW,

When having the Rhino Lining done on my van I was told that the product will come off quite easily with a rag soaked in alcohol on non-prepped surfaces. Maybe it would be worth a call to one of the places that apply these products to find out what they do for surface prep if you are having problems with the product becoming detached.

2004 QuadVan E350 V8 Chateau
bighodad808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #8

Has anyone tried painting or spraying their factory grill with either paint or bed coating material?

I have the chrome factory grill, but wanting to go with the all black look.

I bet the bed liner sprayed on the lower van and the grill would look really good!
blkhalo996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:59 AM   #9

I realize this thread is old, but I ended up here while searching for info about Raptor-lining the lower part of my Ford E-350 and thought I'd share a video of my experience in case it helped someone in the future. I found it super straight forward to prep and apply. Since doing so, I have driven through some gross (i.e. blizzard) conditions since without any flaking or peeling issues. I guess only time will tell if it lasts. Anyway...

mackyfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhalo996 View Post
Has anyone tried painting or spraying their factory grill with either paint or bed coating material?

I have the chrome factory grill, but wanting to go with the all black look.

I bet the bed liner sprayed on the lower van and the grill would look really good!
I sprayed my grill and front bumper with raptor liner. It was super easy and so far I haven't had any problems with peeling or chipping. My grill was the gray plastic though and not chrome so that might change your approach.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3051.jpg   IMG_3098.jpg  
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote