Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #1

Atlas II transfer case shifter noise

I was wondering if anybody with the SMB 4x4 is having the same annoying noise coming from the Atlas II transfer case shifters? It's the front wheel shifter when it is in neutral and the rear is in high. It is a loud high pitched noise/rattle that just drives me crazy. About a month ago I found in Advanced Adapters website FAQ a post that someone else was having the same problem. They replied saying it was adjusted wrong. I can no longer find that post on their Website. Mine seems to have some play when it is in neutral but does not seem to be extremely loose. I have come up with a high tech solution but am tired of looking at my dirty laundry on the floor of my SMB. It does come in handy when I have to eat on the fly as a napkin. Does anyboby know how to adjust this to fix my problem

Works but ugly

Steve
outopawn

outopawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:02 PM   #2

Mine did the same thing, I took a tiny bungie cord and hooked around both. NOT a good idea I found out while on the freeway, It pulled the rear into nuetral. Now I just tap the shifters when they rattle. Works sometimes or turn the radio up.

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #3

Craig

I tried the rubberband technique but I actually used one of my daughters hair bands. It worked some what but I feared what happened to you and removed it. Went back to the towel -- worked better -- would be nice to find a real fix.

Steve
Old 03-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #4

I'm guessing the shifter is touching something, like the edge of the floor. Take the boot off and see if you can find the interference. Also crawl under the van and look.

Advance Adaptors is a great company, call the contact number on the website and a tech will help you out.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:54 PM   #5

Well, I found the culprit. The literature from Advanced Adapters has a exploded view pg25 of the shifter installation. The shifter tower has four nylon sleeves that the level bolt slides through. I was missing one and there was metal touching metal and some play. A quick trip to home depot for a temporary fix with a nylon washer and no more noise. I will call AA on Monday and order the "nyliner" to fix it right. My SMB has a new 6.0 that was changed out under warranty for "Scott Company" and they must have removed the levers and forgot to replace one. I am so excited to get rid of that noise and my vibration absorbing towel. Thanks for the help

Steve
Old 03-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #6

Better bring a camera when you go to put that permanent fix in!
Old 03-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #7

Jage,

I tried to get just the one page image from www.atlas-tc.com Atlas II PDF download but could not figure that out. It is on page 25 if you are interested. I will definetly take pictures of the permanent fix. That is if I can get them -- it is very tight up under where the shifters are

Steve
Old 03-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #8

OK, this is interesting. Since day 1 of new ownership occasionally I get a rattley/grindy noise coming up from that area, but I think mine's different from yours? In my Atlas manual, it says that "99% of all user reported grinding and rattling noises turn out to be due to improper drive shaft alignment problems." Because of this, I was going to have SMB-W look at it when I take it in soon.

Please post pics of your problem and fix; preferably in the user mods/fixes area. Thanks!
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #9

OK, I figured out how to get this exploded view.

I believe my problem was differnent from kzemach's
In the diagram there are 4 30380 "nyliners" that go in the twin stick tower.
I was missing the left upper or rear wheel right side. This let the bolt (30385) tighten against the rear wheel level main shaft and had play from the thickness of the nyliner head. Without nylon between the lever and tower and coupled with the play there was a load harmonic whine that drove even me with 6 kids crazy. My temporary fix was to grab a nylon washer from HD. Of course they didn't have the correct size so I bought a smaller one and drilled the inside diameter to fit.

I worked on this from the underside and never removed the inside boot.
Now I believe I have the normal harmonic sound that I have read about. Much more quiet than before.
I will replace the nyliner as soon as I get it from AA (will post with pics)

So no more loud harmonic and no grinding noise just soft harmonic - yeh!
Hope this helps

Steve
Old 04-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #10

Well my other shift level started to make the same noise so back under my van and shure enough it was loose. It is very difficult to tighten these bolts. If they have any play your levers will rattle from the vibration of the transfer case. This time the front shifter (left) was loose and to tighten this you have to reach the bolt on the right side. To do this you must remove the rear shifter first because it covers the bolt.

Once you get the rear shifter off you are able to get an allen wrench on the bolt for the front to tighten. All this must be done from underneath - there just is not enough space from above. Make shure the "nyliners" are in place or you will get the rattle.
Here is a pic from underneath the van

One more from above

Again this is not the grinding noise some people talk about but a constant annoying loud harmonic rattle. If your shifters are making this noise, check for play or missing nyliners.

Steve