Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2009, 04:45 AM   #1

Axle Upgrades Split from [SMB 4WD Parts Reference Thread]

Good info! The outer stub axel that goes into the hub is only 30 splines thick. They break. Dana 60 lockout hubs are notoriously weak. They break. You can go to aftermarket 35 spline stub shafts and 35 spline hubs but some say the lock-out hubs are no stronger. The fix for hardcore off road use is 35 spline stubs and drive flanges. A drive flange locks spindle to the axel with a real chunk of steel instead of the flimsy lock-out mechanism. Problem is they stay locked untill you pull the flange apart with tools and remove the steel chunk. I paid about 85 each for cromoly 35 spline outer stub shafts and about 185 ish for the drive flanges on my off road rig.

Probably the worse thing you can do is too install Neapco (common auto parts store brands) axel u-joints. They are not the same as genuine Dana Spicer u-joints. The worst are "greasable" u-joints in a front axel. These have huge holes drilled thru them to allow grease to pass thru. You don't need or want greasable u-joints in your front axel! Ever. When they break they can take out the ears on the axel or worse. If you want better than Spicer look at Longfield joints or CMT joints $$$.The axel will break before the joint ever will. Even cromolly aftermarket axels.

If you travel remote in 4 low then you need to at least have the tools to remove the hub and spindle to slide out the broken shaft. You can't keep driving once they break or you risk locking up the wheel and or damaging the inside of the spindle so bad it bulges and ruins it also. Once removed you can keep going but unless you have a front locker the front won't pull.

I think a spare lock-out hub would be a wise choice. Get a buddy to go in on a pair so you can each have one. Warn hubs have liftime warrenty replacement but thats after you get home. A spair axel ujoint may also be a good thing to have in the feild. The hardcore guys carry complete axel shafts but a single outer 30 spline shaft in you bag of spares is a good plan.

So for the laymen that just wants to be covered you need to know to only use Spicer non greasable u-joints. If you want to be prepaired then have the tools to remove a front shaft and carry a u-joint,outer 30 spline shaft and a spare lock-out hub. The special tools besides sockets would be snap ring pliers and a hub socket. Auto Zone tyle places will have the huge socket you need to get the spindle nut off for about $20 bucks. You need to pop off your hub to see what hub socket fits it. So if nothing else in this post matters then at least get the socket and snap ring pilers you need to pull a broken shaft. A a pin punch and BFH will help you get a u-joint installed.
Sounds hard but on the side of a hill, in the rain with night comming it gets done pretty easy.

Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:42 AM   #2

Re: SMB 4WD Parts Reference Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpalump
...A a pin punch and BFH will help you get a u-joint installed...
BFH definition:

http://www.acronymfinder.com/Big-Fre...rm)-(BFH).html

David_in_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #3

How about this: http://www.coloradok5.com/35splineupgrade.shtml ?

Tom
Old 02-01-2009, 08:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeemo
The Pro Rock 60's could allready have them. I know some guys spend 12 grand for a really nice Pro Rock and I'll bet Dynatrac throws them in for that price. I think the Pro Rock name is just the housing so no telling whats in them.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage
Re: Axle Upgrades Split from [SMB 4WD Parts Reference Thread]

I would like to know about the splines. Anybody actually know what's in the Pro Rock 60.

A few guys in our shop claim to stay away from greasable u-Joints and even greasable ball joints. At least it made me feel better on my install as I didn't have them put in. It seems the u-joints should out last the ball joints 2 to 1 so I'll stick to the non greasable types.

The problem I'm having now is the shop who did the install scored the inner seal to the diff. Now the job has to be done all over for a lousy 12 dollar seal. That installer is costing me 600 bucks. To change the seal you have to pull the 3rd member and I don't know if I want this guy messing with my front locker.

I'm not happy with this

A good plan would have been to make sure that the shop that does the front end work should be familiar with all types of high end 4x4 work.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #6

Dave that seal is not that hard to change. Find a local 4x4 shop. Those guys can put that seal in in a couple hours. After you pull the axel shafts you pull 4 bolts and the carrier (you called it a third member) comes right out with the locker all together. An ARB will have an air line to un screew The seal is just inside the axel tube. Pry out the old one and pound in a new one and reaseemble. The trick is the four bolts on the carrier. They hold on two caps that hold the carrrier in place. They must go back in the same way. Left is left and top is top. Some are marked if not mark them with a center punch. It's dirty work but not rocket science. Any 4x4 guy can do it easy. You can too if you have a spindle nut socket. Autozone 20 bucks. Seal and rtv for the cover plus gear lube. You do need the front off the ground but for less than 600 you could buy a nice floor jack,stands and new craftsmen tools and do it all including the shopping in a day.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Done deal. The dummy that did the 1st install never punched the lock nut down and the axle nut was loose on the short side not the side that was leaking. Geese.... I mean I'd rather pay somebody to do the job but that guy FU. He also didn't get the seal (opposite side) seated in straight...what an idiot. Could have been bad.
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #8

I have the 6.0 engine oil leak. It's under warranty but I lose sleep over the idea that I'll take it in, running like a top and it will come back with more problems than when I first got it. I just don't want to take that chance.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #9

Jage -

If your oil leak is between the bed plate and block, then have them pull the engine to repair. The dealer I took mine to for that warranty work said that Ford's authorized method is to perform this repair with the engine in the vehicle and they could never get a good fix (and Ford would only reimburse the dealer for the repair one time). They started pulling the engines to perform the work (I think they re-surface both sides) and never had one come back again. They had my van for over a week to do all of this, but I haven't had a single problem (leak or otherwise) with the engine since getting it back. This is a common 6.0PSD problem.

Phil

Sorry, still off topic, but Jage started it.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #10

When you take a rig in to a Ford dealership for work, be sure and tell 'em you don't want them to update the computer. If they say they have to, just take it elsewhere. If it's not running that good, an update might be a good idea.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote