Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2016, 12:42 AM   #11

[QUOTE=Abitibi;171251]T'sek Hot Springs, that's the one with the big artificial tubs and nice camp spot right on the river right?

Yes it is.

And the noisy one must have been Sloquet?

Right again. Big partys, big fires, loud music, and happy people howling through the night

Did you drive back on the dirt road towards Harrison Hot Spring?

Yes we did. A lot of the road was passable in a low clearance vehicle, but some of the pot holes were epic in size and depth. In addition, there was one section of steep uphill that was 4wd only and with all the rain, there were a lot of water crossings. One such crossing was where I ripped up the tire. We also camped on the lake at an old cabin site near Doctors cove. The trail down was narrow and overgrown enough to require a chain saw and had one spot we had to winch up the next morning.

Wish I could have joined you guys, sounded like a good time! Next time

That would be fun.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:47 AM   #12

That's my backyard, so many hidden trails and campsites you never get bored. Next time we head out I'll let you know.

Cheers
David
1965 Econoline Travelwagon
A few bicycles...and sandals ;)
Abitibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:23 AM   #13
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
... Too bad I can't fix the tire too, but another Goodyear Duratrac has proven to have paper thin sidewalls, and the gash is about 3 inches long. Since I've lost two sidewalls, I think it's time to switch brands.
We cut the sidewall on a BFG in one of our first SMB voyages and were quite disappointed in this brand new, $200+ tire. We cut it on an extremely rocky trail NE of Silverton, CO. Talking to some USFS guys later and complaining about the tires, they said sidecuts were common in their area and not the tire's fault. Just sharp, small volcanic rock. Can't speak to the merits of the Duratecs or the terrain but their perspective called me down.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 10:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo View Post
Can't speak to the merits of the Duratecs or the terrain but their perspective called me down. Don
Duratrac's are well known for having thin, weak sidewalls, if I don't run at least 70psi on the pavement, the van wanders around like a drunken hippo. Despite having two ply sidewalls, close examination of the cut shows just a very thin poly thread. The last one was slashed by a tree branch. On the plus side though, they have great grip.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote