Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #1

Garage
Benefits to lift, bigger tires and impact on MPG

Anyone care to share their thoughts and/or experience concerning the benefits of a lift, bigger tires, and the impact to MPG?

I'm considering getting a 3 inch lift for my 2008 GMC Savana with the 6.0 liter gas engine, Quigley 4x4, 4 spd transmission with tow mode, and 4.10 gear ratio. Lift would be Weldtec Designs. According to Jeremy, the lift with their rear spring will provide a much better ride. Of course if I want to go much bigger than the stock tire height, a lift or trimming would be required.

I'm sure the answer to the MPG question depends on many factors, I'm trying to get a range of possible impact. Tires may have a bigger impact than lift. Of course weight, vehicle size, engine, transmission, gearing, etc. all play a part as well.

I've done some searching but haven't found anything specific to this for vans. Fair amount of previous talk around this, but not specific. My google-foo/search-foo may not be good enough either so if I need to be enlightened, go right ahead.

Thanks, Chris

Old 12-16-2017, 11:29 AM   #2

Just do it. Maybe consider 33s instead of 35s with a 3" lift. More rotating mass and increasing vehicle ht is always going to affect mileage. IMO, the benefits of far outweigh the effect on mileage. That's just the nature of the beast having a 4x4 and taking it offroad.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:46 AM   #3

With 4.10's, 33's will work great. That's the same setup I have. Highway mileage won't be affected too much but in town will go down a little.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:21 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks for your replies.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:24 PM   #5

You’ve got a huge rolling block with tons of capabilities which is awesome. The annual downside with regard to $ spent on fuel is likely only in the hundreds depending on how many miles you’ll be driving it. Go for it!
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:39 AM   #6

97 7.3 3.55 2wd
305 70 16”
Did not change ratio from 3.55
Lost 1 mpg
Still get 18mpg with 603350 miles
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 06:43 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
You’ve got a huge rolling block with tons of capabilities which is awesome. The annual downside with regard to $ spent on fuel is likely only in the hundreds depending on how many miles you’ll be driving it. Go for it!
Easy for a diesel guy to say.

Agree depending on miles driven. One could make an argument that a discussion about MPGs for these vans is oxymoronic.

Seriously though, the issues for me are function and cost. That's why I included benefits for a lift in my post. I'm not interested in a lift for aesthetics. Now depending on use, approach, departure, break over, etc. all come into play. I'm not sure I'll get into situations wheeling where these issues will be an issue. For EBs, departure angle is a bigger deal. I'm actually good with how the van drives on road now, but it could be better on washboard, dirt/gravel roads, etc.

I plan on doing longer trips annually beginning next year and I don't want to do something that will drive down fuel economy without enough positive upside. I'm on a fixed income these days so the cost of a lift and increase in out of pocket expenses is something I need to watch.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:41 AM   #8

Chris, I had a 6.0 gas in a Chevy crew cab truck and that thing makes gobs of power but isn't particularly efficient. What MPGs are you getting now? I remember about 11-12 with my truck but I towed a lot. Also, it came with aggressive AT tires, they may've even been MT's, and I changed to something milder a year or so after I got it. I don't remember mpg's changing at all. If you're already a Quigley unless you go with huge tires like 35's I wouldn't think there would be more than a mile per gallon or so difference.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #9

Garage
I'm getting 12. something at around 60 or less. Drops to 11. something at 70. I think the front bumper and front roof rack don't help. Tires are Cooper Discoverer A/Ts so not too aggressive. I keep a Thule cargo box on the van and I honestly haven't noticed a difference with it.

Towing my motorcycle on a Kendon single rail trailer, no impact. Towing the 6x12 cargo trailer I had at about 3.5k pounds, lost about 1 to 1.5 miles per gallon.

33s might not be any impact at all on flat highways, actually wonder if it would be better since the gear ratio would be reduced. I wouldn't go more than 33s and don't think a 3" lift would support more. Any acceleration would likely be worse. So overall impact might be negligible or maybe a mile per gallon or so as you mention.

Don't know about a 3" lift in and of itself. Maybe no impact or just a little as well.

I'll probably just do it if I'm going to get a better ride, especially on dirt and gravel. Having a little better approach, departure and break over will always be helpful. If the ride will be the same, I don't think it is worth the cost for my situation. That could change in the future, I'd like to spend some time out west on dirt/gravel roads. I'm not looking for true off road in such a heavy vehicle although the van is likely more capable than situations I'd be comfortable with.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #10

Sure, I think you're on the right track dealing with Weld-Tec. He is the man on GM vans. I would stress to him that your biggest goal is better ride though. Lots of the converters think kind of extreme when they're spending a customer's money who says he wants to go bigger. I'm not saying Jeremy does.

Keep us posted!
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote