Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #1

blew hole in hose from air compresser to tire fill stem

While airing up the second tire I heard a bang and there was no more air coming out the hose. The ARB compressor air lockers had been working OK for 2 days and I had no problem using it to air up the eve before. Luckly, my portable air compressor that clips on the battery finished the job. Note to self: always have a back-up plan.

The red high pressure hose blew a hole 1/4 in from its connection to the ARB air compressor. I have since cut out 1 in of the hose and reattached it. I am afraid it will blow again.

Do you think the problem is that I have the small compressor that was designed to only activate the air lockers? Was the hose defective and I should have the entire hose replaced and carry an extra hose? Has this happened to any one else?

Angel

2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Site Team

Re: blew hole in hose from air compresser to tire fill stem

I think there was a defect in the hose, or in the installation of the hose. But I don't know why the hose would be under enough pressure to blow like that. Sounds like too much back pressure.

That said, I think the ARB compressor is very inadequate for airing up tires, especially multiple, large tires. You can go with an Extreme Air compressor which I had installed in my SMB, though I don't think it's the greatest compressor. Hi output and 100% duty cycle, but as far as I know, it's not rebuildable. In my Bronco, I installed a Thomas 1/3HP, 100% duty cycle compressor. Thomas is one of the largest industrial compressor manufacturers, and their compressors are fully rebuildable and have full parts support.

There's always compressed CO2, which is a nice, simple option, though you have to keep track of how much CO2 you have available.

Herb
Old 01-27-2009, 08:07 AM   #3

The hose should be stronger than any pressure you would put in the tires, and the size or speed of the compressor doesn't matter in terms of tube damage "blowout" with two possible exceptions:
1. the compressor has to put out enough PSI to blow the tube
2. a smaller compressor may heat more, although any air tube should be able to deal with this

A defect makes #1 more likely, and cutting off the blown tube probably removed the defect, e.g. the weaker part of the tube. #2 might cause the defect, but again an air hose should be able to take such things- I use the cheapo yellow tubes that come from Lowe's in the multipacks of chinese air fittings (they barely classify as straws) and haven't had a problem.

The other things that could cause a defect are kinking the tube right by the fitting- if there is a brass insert on the attachment that goes into the tube and it gets folded right there (getting crammed in with your gear or when it was made) that could cause a defect...mine usually split and start to leak near the fitting when they go bad.

So with all that said, if you're hooking directly to the compressor (no pressure cut off, no tank) than you need to have a hose and chuck that does not seal the system. The air has to have somewhere to go, or the pressure will build to max very rapidly in the tube itself.

If you heard the compressor sound change right before the bang, that may indicate air wasn't getting through the chuck. Did the sound change, like it was working harder? How did you determine it wasn't filling the second tire? If you turned off the compressor switch before removing the chuck, air should have still been coming out of the leak from the pressure in the tire.

As far as cutting the tube it should be fine- try to ensure you're not doing anything to recreate a defect (like storing it with razor blades and carpet knives ) and now you know some other things to watch for. Plus you have a second backup, repairing the tube and using the ARB. (I actually carry a few tubes and all kinds of fittings)
Old 01-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #4

I do not remember any sound change before the "bang". I have an air chuck/tire inflator like the one at gas stations-you have to hold squeeze a handle and hold it on the valve stem to fill the tire. When you let go you, the gauge shows the psi in the tire (yes, I was kneeling to my tire). When I stopped squeezing the handle, the compressor kept running this time. No air came out of the air chuck so I knew I had popped a hose.

I will find out the replacement hose I need and buy some extras. Also, now I will buy an extra of the hose that goes to the air lockers. Does anyone happen to know the sizes for the ARB?

The portable air compressor I have is a "Master Flow" Q-MAXX which draws 30 amps. For now, if I get another one just like it, can I run both of them off my battery while the SMB is running? That way, I could fill my tires faster. (and no kneeling because stops at the preselected psi)

Angel
Old 01-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #5

Yes you can double run them off your battery.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

I also was told it’s not a good idea to use the ARB air locker compressor to air tires but maybe there are different versions of their compressors. Mine is a smaller unit that only feeds the differential. I don’t think its duty cycle is 100% but I might be wrong. I have the extreme air compressor and tank for the tires and tools. So I do have a backup like you say but would use the ARB for an emergency only. Actually I would like to know how high the ARB can go. Anybody know the max PSI?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #7

Here is the spec sheet:

The lockers need 7 Bar ( 100 Psi) to work.
The attached tank pressure switch starts the compressor at 5.9 Bar and stops it at 7 Bar.
Max pressure must be around 8-9 Bar.

I am using mine to inflate my 285/75 R16, works fine for time, slow and heat's up especially after 2-3 cars.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ARB-Air-Compressor-Specifications.pdf (25.6 KB, 3 views)
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #8

ARB Tech suport is one of the best you can ever talk too. They told me that their compressor shoulds only be used for an occational tire use. Airing up 4 tires to 50PSI is too hard on it. FWIW I don't use ARB lockers because too many people experiance leaks or failiers. Sure it's great to hit a button but they are just too much trouble. Make sure you carry enough fittings and tubing to do a feild repair if you have them because leaks and cut air hoses are common. Get it working and leave it and it's small compressor alone.

Pep Boys and Costco sell a small compressor called a Tsunami. For the price they are the best small cheap compressor. I use an expensive VAIR 450. It's good but not worth the money compaired to how cheap a Tsunami is. They are both made in China.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:00 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpalump
ARB Tech suport is one of the best you can ever talk too. They told me that their compressor shoulds only be used for an occational tire use. Airing up 4 tires to 50PSI is too hard on it. FWIW I don't use ARB lockers because too many people experiance leaks or failiers. Sure it's great to hit a button but they are just too much trouble. Make sure you carry enough fittings and tubing to do a feild repair if you have them because leaks and cut air hoses are common. Get it working and leave it and it's small compressor alone.

Pep Boys and Costco sell a small compressor called a Tsunami. For the price they are the best small cheap compressor. I use an expensive VAIR 450. It's good but not worth the money compaired to how cheap a Tsunami is. They are both made in China.
As far as I know, ARB's are the world's best selling and most popular selectable locker. I run one in my Bronco and have never had a problem, and a LOT of people I know run them without any problems. Yeah, there can be problems, but from what I've seen, it's usually due to poor installation or poor air line routing (e.g. leaving it hanging low or routed near the exhaust). I agree a repair kit is a good idea, though I admit I don't have one.

I did talk to Chris Wood (ARB Western states rep) when he was at Expedition Exchange last year for a special event and I asked him about the braided steel "heavy duty" line that some people sell. He personally didn't recommend it, as he viewed the standard ARB blue line as an easy to repair weak point. If a heavy duty line snagged on something, it could concievably damage or tear out the differential fitting making for an potentially impossible field repair.

Herb
Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #10

Thanks for all your information and advice.
I am ordering ARB Air Locker Air Line Service Kit Part # ASKOOI (has blue hose).
Salem Kroger sent me a roll of the red hose, like the hose that blew a hole and reimbursed me for the expense of getting it fixed. (how many times do they expect it to blow-they said it has never happened before) :-)
I am going to buy a second portable air compressor for airing up and I am "good to go"

Angel