Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #21

Re: Bottle Jacks and changing tires

Oh, and looking at the jack I see:

- Black
- #3 Font and color matches Dale Sr.

Was this supposed to be an 'Earnhardt' special product? Or does it just look like it?

I almost expected to find the name 'Intimidator' somewhere on it.

Mike

2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #22

Rear hitch reciever is the right size to fit the HiLift inside or you can use it on the bottom of the tube. I mounted an old style Warn wench cradle on the front. Lots of iron on the mounting plate to get a bite. It bolts directly to the frame. The HiLift can be used to take some of the weight off of the springs so that you can get a bottle or scissors jack under the axle. Some guys have welded plates onto the frame that extend out beyond the bumper so that they can use the HiLift.

The HiLift jack can also be used to raise up the rear end enough so that you can shove the van to the side. This can be white knuckle stuff but if you have a rope or tree saver on the vehicle and someone else can put some tension on the rope while you jack, you can keep the van from comming back on you. You can get 6 - 12 inches of lateral movement at a time. Good if you are leaning up against a rock or tree (or just too close for comfort) and don't want to tear up the side any more. Same is true if you are in a hole or the axle is hung up on a rock. Each situation dictates the tools and strategy that will work for you. These things weigh around 9K# so just think it through before you do anything and be safe.
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_6L_E350
Oh, and looking at the jack I see:

- Black
- #3 Font and color matches Dale Sr.

Was this supposed to be an 'Earnhardt' special product? Or does it just look like it?

I almost expected to find the name 'Intimidator' somewhere on it.

Mike
Almost Mike, but the #3 is sloping the wrong direction.

Yes, I still pause for moment on lap 3 of every race.

-Greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #24

Greg,

The '3' is from the other side of the car.

http://www.brickelsracing.com/products.asp?dept=1272

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:12 PM   #25

Just caught this thread. Someone was asking about whether the jack stand/bottle jack combo unit will fit under the SMB axle when a tire is full flat. Right after I bought the thing I took it into the driveway, deflated a tire to almost 100% full (didn't want to put rim to concrete) and it fit under there pretty easily. If it was tight you could move it towards center a little and it was fine.

I also like that you can "adjust" the base height with a pin.

I just used it to rotate the tires on my van (the guys at the tire shop said it would take an hour and I did in my driveway in less than that one tire at a time ). This is my favorite piece of gear since it gives me piece of mind and it works good. Plenty of power to throw the SMB up unsing one hand while reaching under the van. For those with a EB 50 layout, the jack fits upright in the rear passenger side "box" where the shower fittings are (and in my case also the 10lb powertank).

Highly recommended.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #26

Tool Smith Online is out of them and Tractor Supply online only had 1 in stock... now they have zero!

I'd wanted to buy two, but I guess I waited too long. When someone finds another source post up- I didn't see them for sale anywhere else.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #27

Jage,

I bought mine in person at a brick and mortar store (who knew you could still do that!) at the local Pep Boys Auto Store. I've also seen them at Kragen I think so if you're driving around town it might be worth a trip in to see if they carry it.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #28

Garage

Looks like the popular best method is using the hi lift lift mate on the wheel itself.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:15 PM   #29

I have done this but only so I could get the bottle jack under the axel. Then I had to lower the Hilift and remove the wheel hooks to change the tire. One issue I encountered was the Hilift making contact with the side of the van above the wheel well. I used some heavy cardboard as a pad. Worked ok.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Looks like the popular best method is using the hi lift lift mate on the wheel itself.
So it looks like there are several methods here, Bryanlaws says the bottle jack / jack stand combo will fit under the axle of a SMB with pretty much a dead flat tire, Jeffrey recommends a Highlift jack with the wheel accessory, and I think I saw someone say that the Highlift will fit in the hitch reciever (that would presumably get both wheels off the ground). Has anyone tried the Highlift Hitch reciever method on the front? I have a hitch reciever in the front also, seems like the front of a diesel SMB would be a wee bit heavier?

Tom