Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #1

Garage
Broken Springs, Help!

Just happened to glance under my 2007 SMB 4x4 yesterday and saw this. Two of the five leaves on the drivers side front have broken in two. I don't know what street one of the pieces is on now but the remaining piece is still attached to the clamp. I talked to Peter at SMB today, and of course, in 2008 they changed the design and have no more of these around. But the new design is nice. However, he says it will give me 2" more lift than what I have now, and I most certainly do not want that. My wife will never get in the van, as she doesn't like getting into it now. And it will simply be a 2" more pain in the ass every time I have to get in and out and when camping, that's a lot of times. And, I don't need more clearance, what I have is plenty. I'm having trouble believing that every standard SMB 4x4 since 2008 is 2" taller than mine and others from before 2008. I already run 315's. So, what to do? I'd like to take it to Fresno and just have them install new ones. I don't want Deavers. Whatchya think?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #2

Re: Broken Springs, Help!

Is the other side okay? If yes, you could send it to Benz Springs, and they can measure the springs rates and arch, and build you a new set. This custom work would still be a fraction of what some Deavers would cost. If you have some jackstands and an air impact wrench, it can be a driveway job.

http://www.benzspring.com/

Might not hurt asking Chris at U-Joint. I suspect he might be able to make a set too.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #3

Looks like the bottom one had been broken for awhile based on the rust at the fracture!

No ideas for replacements, if I broke mine I'd probably just go to National Spring here in town.
2004 SMB 4x4 RB 6.0 PSD; ARP Head Studs, Gen 3 Cylinder Heads, BPD Oil Cooler connected to AMSOil Bypass, a whistling Wicked Wheel Turbo, Coolant Filter, Upgraded alternator, ScanGauge, SCT custom and SMB Fox shocks.
BFG 285/75 R16 KM3 Mud Terrains on ProComp 7069's
PatO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:20 PM   #4

Check around locally for a quality spring shop. They should be able to match the good left side spring. I know of two shops in the Portland area I'd trust with the job. Talk to some of the large truck maintenance shops and see who does all their work.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #5

I would also recommend giving Chris at U Joint Off Road a call.

He is going to an event this weekend but he might be able to get some springs coming you way.

He has his springs custom built and has done some for other Sportsmobile replacements.

I would be very careful driving it too far that lower one has been gone a while (see the rust) and the next one was cracked (rust) before it broke (fresh metal no rust) but that was just recent..

Good Luck...

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #6
Site Team

If you could find the identical springs, even those would increase the ride height given how springs settle over time. I would be a bit hesitant about replacing them with SMB's current offering, unless SMB can tell you the current model's front/back weight distribution is the same as yours. I would also make sure SMB still has springs intended for the heavier weight of a diesel engine. Ford is not making diesel E-series anymore, so how many diesel E-series is SMB converting? Are the spring lengths even the same, or is that what accounts for the extra 2" (squeezing the springs into hangers that are not as far apart).

Herb
Old 09-27-2012, 07:36 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

For what it's worth, Scatter has a 2007 and I have a 2008. He has since switched to Deavers, but before that, both or vans were the same height. (They still are).....
Bill
Old 09-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #8

Garage

Thanks for all the worthy replies. I wonder if anyone has a set of springs that were removed when they did the Deaver or U-joint upgrade? And, is it possible to replace just the two broken ones or must I do the whole assembly?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #9

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Looks like you are trying to save some money on this.

Since both broken springs are on the bottom of the pack it would be easy to just get those two leafs (from any spring shop, or similar ones from any wrecking yard) and replace the bottom two leafs only ON BOTH SIDES and you will be fine.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #10

You can replace just the broken ones but you don't know how stressed the remaining ones have been.

To replace just a few, unless it is one of the main ones, you still have to remove the u bolts and the clamp the spring together and remove the center pin/bolt (you also may need a new bolt) that locates it to the axle and holds the spring pack together and then reassemble. Trying to repair it that way might cause it to sit higher or lower on that side.

If you could get a pair of used ones when someone changed to something else it would be best to replace both sides.

Does anyone know where Sportsmobile had/has their springs made? Maybe if you could find out you could talk to them directly.

To echo what John/Gnarvan said maybe find a local spring shop and ask them, Deaver and Atlas are not the only places that can made or repair springs. You also might want to start putting some penetrating fluid on the u bolts.

...Jamie
2004 F-350 Dana 60
Ultrasport12 is offline   Reply With Quote