Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2019, 12:31 PM   #1
brp

Can I Cut Rear Lower Shock Mounts on a Quigley?

Hi guys. I am working on installing a Hellwig rear sway bar right now, #7085.

I've got a 2004 Quigley, and the very low hanging rear shock mounts are interfering with the sway bar, which runs under the axle for the most part.

My rear shock's lower mounting point is well above where I would need to cut. I would like to cut about 1" off the bottom of the mount. I think that Quigley has modified the mount, but I am not sure, as there is only 1 set of holes for mounting the shock.

In the photo I am pointing to approx. where I would like to cut. It seems to my untrained eye that there would still be plenty of metal and structure for the mount.

I'm looking for advice and thanks.

-PS, I know the rear sway bars are "controversial." My van is a former shuttle bus and has a huge side profile, the wind pushes me around a lot. We'll see....
Attached Thumbnails
0.jpeg  

brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:52 PM   #2

I'd cut it off w/4" cutoff wheel (AKA "death wheel") then run another bead of MIG weld at the cut line, maybe the inside where the add-o mounts overlap, if needed (I can't see the details, your finger is in the way).

If you can't do it yourself, any muffler shop should be able to perform the task with minimal drama.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #3

Yep, cut it. Won't hurt a thing.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
brp

Thanks for the replies, I cut them off. I looked at my Sawzall and grinder, feeling lazy I was not ready for the noise, sparks and dust of the cut off wheel.

I found a comfortable position under there and put a long blade in the Sawzall and just let it work through, it made for an even cut going through both side/layers with one blade.

I cleaned the cut and the paint is drying now, bar should be mounted tomorrow AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:27 AM   #5

I have not a Quigley but that is the way i did because i did not like the reduction of ground clearance.
I had to go a bit lower than the axle because my shockabsorbers are long travel once. Now the are complete compressed if the axle is complete up. Same with down while flexing.
Attached Thumbnails
P1120790.jpg   P1120804.jpg   P1120794.jpg  
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #6

Mines not a Quigley, but the shock mounts were cut off the axle and rotated upwards until they no longer hung below the axle. I assume this was done mostly to allow stock length shocks to be retained when the 4in block was added.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
brp

I made a post about my installation at exeditionportal.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/for.../#post-2621168