Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 PM   #1

Changes for the 2008 SMB

Note that the SMB web site changed (this week?) for the 2008 SMB 4x4 (excerpt below).

In summary, I think it means that you will get a better system but you will pay for it. Mandatory 17" tire upgrade + Hella system = net $3k additional.

-Mark

Begin excerpt from
http://www.sportsmobile.com/4_4x4sports.html

Because Ford redesigned the van's front end, it was necessary for Sportsmobile West to redesign the 4x4 front axle. This upgrade consists of a new casting, larger knuckles, hub and F550 rotor. Ford also beefed-up the calipers. The calipers, rotors and ABS sensors are Ford factory parts, making this system easier to service.

These changes are comparable to a $2,000 upgrade.

However, redesign causes two other issues:

• With Sportsmobile West's larger brake rotor, the factory 16" wheel will not fit. Sportsmobile West 4WDs will require 17" wheels, which are available through Sportsmobile.

• Ford's factory tire monitoring system is not adjustable. It is set for 55 PSI front and 80 PSI rear. If the larger tires are designed to run different PSI, then an after-market tire monitoring system will be required.
We recommend the Hella Remote Monitoring System. This system is adjustable, and if a tire is low it will tell you how much and which tire. It also monitors the temperature of each tire. The Ford monitoring System only tells you when a tire is low. The Hella System is available from Sportsmobile for $475 installed for a set of 5. Without this system, the Ford factory tire monitoring system will not function.

end excerpt

2008 SMB EB-52, Quadvan 4x4, 6.0 PSD SOLD
2017 Ford Transit T250 148WB mid-roof w/ Quadvan 4x4
bitburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #2

In a way, the required larger wheels are a good thing, regardless of the increased price.

I kept the stock 16" wheels, never tow, and reduce carried weight as much as possible. While I have yet to require a rapid stop (knock on the super hot doghouse), I am constantly worried about my stopping ability. I did not need any performance or offroad improvements of the 17" wheels, but I regret not getting them originally for safety reasons. I may upgrade in the future.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Both front and back spring packs have been beefed up also. Sagging ass end and front bump stop hits should go away. This might be available for older vehicles as an upgrade. I am waiting for this decision to come down the pike. If I remember correctly, the fronts had a partial backup wrap. If they do I want this upgrade for sure. My springs are almost flat and seem kind of lite.
Dave Boyer

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote