Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #1

Chevy/GMC Van 4x4 conversion

Getting a 2013 Chevy Duramax van. Wanted to pick your brain comparing the different 4x4 converters out there.

I'm mostly looking at Advanced 4x4 and Weldtech. Quigley is too far from here.

Weldtech's conversion is $15,900 and Advance 4x4's is $14,100. Price quoted is for torsion bar conversion by both.

Any one have experience with either of those, how they ride what difference if any? Seeking feedback on 4x4 conversions only. Trying to see what if ant advantage of spending about $2k extra with weldtech.

Thanks

karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #2

Look up reviews of Advanced - some positive, some not so much. Weldtec is more of a performance shop and I believe that would include their control arms?

Another option would be Timberline Vans in Denver - they are now doing the Chevy vans and offering a kit.
b. rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #3

I would also consider how far each place is from you. If you ever need to go in for service, the closer one would be less hassle. Also, I have worked with Jeremy at Weldtec and he is really great. No experience with Advanced.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #4

I've never had any experience with Advanced but from a product standpoint Weldtec does top quality work. Yes, their conversions are newer, but they can also offer all sorts of follow up support along with, and this is no small deal, custom valved Fox shocks. Mine is a Quigley torsion bar conversion, but with custom Fox shocks and the Weldtec rear platform spring replacement I'm extremely happy with how my van rides and handles.

Oh, and congrats on the new van! Excited to see some more GM action here.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #5

My 1985 Advance conversion works, but looks like they cut every corner they could.

Company name had changed slightly since then, but same guy runs the show today.

Flame cut a crossmember in the way of the transmission, flame cut the lower rear shock mounts, moved them up and reused them, welded the rear lift blocks in place, built an engine crossmember that rubs the oil pan even with new engine mounts, and built a transfercase shift linkage without enough travel to go through all the gears without a lot of jamming of the shifter.

Used front steering linkage parts made from unobtainium.

And then, 34 years later, won't answer a short email asking for a parts list.

All facts. Draw your own conclusions.

Say hi to Randy if you do try him out. I wouldn't.

Cheers

G.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:54 PM   #6
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
^^^Well there you go.....
I’d also go with Weldtech between the 2 based on what I’ve read.
Also, check out Boulder offroad, I’ve had them do a bunch of work on my Quigley and they build a mean Chevy
http://www.boulderoffroadvans.com
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:11 PM   #7

Boulder is great too based on my limited in experience in dealing with them. I think they only do solid axle conversions though.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:56 AM   #8

This is opinion and only opinion as I've never done business with either. Jeremy is a super guy. I have called him for advice but didn't end up pursuing that project.

I would think the slight cost difference with him would be worth it to get someone who is actively passionate about what we do, contributes to this community and forum and has no negative reviews from anyone that I've ever heard.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #9

Thank you guys. Looks like Advance is out! I talked to Timberline they haven't done a Duramax conversion yet and they will be doing their first one next month..... not sure if I want to be a guinea.

I've reached out to boulder, waiting to hear back. I was reading a thread on here about a persona ordeal with death wobble on Boulders conversion on a E van. But doesn't necessarily mean bad on converters part, could be because of wear and tear on customers end.

Weldtech is closer and the Coil over conversion is very tempting but it's a good chunk more $$$.

Bought the van yesterday, will be picking it up next week and drive Kentucky > Arizona
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:28 AM   #10

My 2 cents is that there needs to be some serious, hard core off roading in your future to opt for the solid axle conversion over the torsion bar/independent set up. It rides that much better on road and over uneven dirt and gravel roads and trails.