Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 06:42 PM   #1

Clever ideas - removable transfer case shifter

Since I have giant clodhoppers, I really like this idea. It would make it much easier to swing around to get out of the driver's seat to access the living room.
Attached Thumbnails
Shifter.jpg  

46 gal Transferflow tank, Agile RIP kit
longboardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #2

Yep, swell idea. Did you do this or see it somewhere?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:38 PM   #3

Garage
That would make a swivel-base driver seat work out a lot better for sure too!

Like so many of the best ideas seem to be (when they are finally thought of)....that's so simple and elegant that it seems like it should have been thought of a long time ago. Very cool.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #4

Garage
I wanted to do this a few years ago but I was worried about how much pull I’ve had to use to get into 4lo a few times. For how hard I’ve had to pull the shifter at times I figured it would bust one of those collars like you used. So I was scared to try it

One of the ideas I had planned on trying was leaving a bit more meat/length on the bottom of the shifter above the boot and getting the next gauge up pipe to slide over the upper shifter piece, likely up to the knob without cutting threads into anything. That way I was adding strength to it instead of taking material off. I was hoping to leave about 4” of shifter to slide the pipe over. Maybe I’m overthinking it?? Either way excellent execution longhoardguy!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
Site Team

I recall seeing something like this before (Ramsey?), but I can't be sure. Regardless, a great idea.

Herb
Old 08-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #6

I should have clarified in my original post that I had not done this, yet, to my own van. I have crawled under the van to see how easy it would be to remove the shifter for modifying. The shift rod is not difficult to remove.

Before starting my own home build project, I looked at a gazillion pictures online of other camper projects and layouts. I saved the pictures that had intrigued me. I do not remember where I found this picture.

For now, this project remains on that long list of things that someday I would like to do. That list is long.
46 gal Transferflow tank, Agile RIP kit
longboardguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 09:28 AM   #7

Garage
That's not an Atlas II Transfer case, is it?
Old 08-30-2018, 10:10 AM   #8

John at Quadvan did this for my recent conversion. I didn't even ask for him to do it, but he noticed that I would not be able to swivel my driver's seat without being able to remove the shifter. Just FYI that this is an option you can ask for if you get your work done at Quadvan.
wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #9

We've dne a bunch of 2 pc shifters over the years. We add a machined sleeve to the upper half with a pin to lock it but I like the threaded idea!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #10

Had 2 in handicap equipped 2007 Sportsmobile

Sportsmobile in Austin machined both transfer case shifters (there are 2 in the Sportsmobile conversion) in our 2007 E350 4x4 diesel Sportsmobile. We’ve sold the unit but it was handicap accessible with lift and power seats. Seats were on power bases. The seats would raise 8”-10”, lower, rotate, slide back about 18 inches. Even with that movement, if you don’t have use of your lower limbs, being able to remove the shifters was nice to have. Definitely would be an advantage in a manual rotating seat. The shafts were threaded mating male into female with a nut on the male piece to help adjust as needed to keep them tight. The nuts also helped keep the diagram on the top of the shift levers oriented correctly. We also had a custom fold down small table top made by Sportsmobile that was used instead of the plastic cup/“stuff” holder attached to the doghouse cover. It locked up or could be dropped down flat against the doghouse. It was nice as you could fold it down to give even more room to rotate legs around and give you more room when parked and facing the seats to the rear.
DCRDVM is offline   Reply With Quote