Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2011, 04:34 AM   #1

Coil Spring replacement

HI Guys,

I just picked up a set of replacement coil springs for my 2000 Quigley E-350. Quigley gave me the Ford part number over the phone based on my vin. I picked up the 4600 pound springs instead of the 4200's because the van is heavy and getting heavier. The reason for replacement is that the van is high mileage with original springs which are compressed at the top- first three coils are pretty much touching eachother.

The question is whether the springs will need a spring compressor to remove and replace them, or if the axle will drop far enough to let them just slide out. My spring compressor doesn't have hooks quite big enough to seat on the wire making it a sketchy proposition. I have changed springs in Rabbit GTI's, Golf Gti's, subaru wrx's and sti's, Jeep Wranglers, but never a Ford e-350. From my experience, most require compressors, but some don't.

Thanks for your input

teeots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #2

Re: Coil Spring replacement

On my van, if I remove the lower shock bolts, the axle will drop enough to remove the springs easily.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #3

Thanks Mike,

I replaced them tonight and it went pretty well. The only bugger was the 1-1/8" bolt down through the lower spring perch. I used a 6 foot pipe slipped over a 2 foot breaker bar to break those free.

the result was one inch gained which should help with the tire rub. the springs were the same height out of the van, but the old ones installed were compressed. now at 42-1/2" to highest part of wheel arch. I would have liked to put some bilsteins in there at the same time but it will have to wait.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeots
Thanks Mike,

I replaced them tonight and it went pretty well. The only bugger was the 1-1/8" bolt down through the lower spring perch. I used a 6 foot pipe slipped over a 2 foot breaker bar to break those free.
PB Blaster is your friend. Pretty much a necessity if you are a DIYer.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:23 AM   #5

Yup. I used it but I didn't let it soak for more than 10 minutes before trying. The passenger side came off pretty easy with the 6 foot breaker bar. The drivers side was really being a bear. I sheared the drive off the breaker bar and then realized I was tightening the bolt not loosening it. By then the PB did its magic and it came off easily. I couldn't budge them with just a 2' breaker bar.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #6

I have an 02 Quigley SMB and am considering replacing the springs to gain a little more height and travel. Was considering going with Deaver but sounds like went with OEM? Any thing to report on changed handling characteristics?
freddiejohn is offline   Reply With Quote