Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #11

Re: Conversion Costs

Quadvan...costs are as of Mar. 2008 Used 2005 RB 12 Pass. V10.
Basic conversion w/4" lift $12,250 (New 2008,6000#Super duty 4x4,Dana 60 high pinion diff,NV 217 TC)
Shock package with 4 Bilsteins up front and Road Masters in back. $1200
Bushwackers...$450
Sliding side door extender...$350
ARB front locker with heavy duty comp. $1650
Front hitch receiver...$350
4 17" Ultra 185B wheels..$750
Aluminess spare carrier...$350
4 285/70/17 BFG AT (D)...$1000.
$18,350....no sales tax in Oregon!
Prices may be higher or lower now??? See my gallery if you want pics of the running gear.

07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #12

Boulder Offroad was used by Fed Ex as well as DHL for their Mountain Delivery vans from the Denver area. Most of their conversions seemed to have been 6 cyl. For awhile when DHL went out of bussiness there was a surplus of 4wd vans. From my experience who ever does the conversion for you make sure replacement parts are accessible....
spurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious
From my experience who ever does the conversion for you make sure replacement parts are accessible....
That's what's great about QuadVan. All moving parts are standard Ford dealer stock parts.
http://www.quadvan.com/quadvan-compe...omparison.html Any Ford dealer can do repairs on them, and no additional training or manuals are needed.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by panion View Post
You may be able to do it yourself with a fabricator. I found all of my own parts from an F250 for $3000. Took it all to a local 4x4 fabricator. He did a great job converting me to 4 wheel. His cost was around $6000, but included installing a 46 gallon tank, rebuilding the transmission with the short shaft, changing the rear axle gears to match the front, adding an air locker, new drive shafts, etc.

I'm very pleased with my conversion. Relatively low cost and works well. The satisfaction of making it happen yourself and knowing the build is also a big plus.

My guy is willing to do another in Tucson. I can get you two together if you want.

tom.
Panion,

I just cam e across your reply about your 4x4 conversion. I recently purchased a SMB and would really be interested in getting your fabricators information to do a real quality conversion. I live in Southern California so the drive wouldn't be to bad.

Than you.
Surfside17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #15

Garage
I would say that if you had a realistic budget of $20k you will be happy with the outcome. Yes you can do it for less, especially if you want to do it yourself and source used parts. But if you want to drop it off and pick up a 4x4 van once complete, plan ahead with your budget. You may get in there and want to regear, add an LS, maybe some fender flairs, or just an upgrade on wheels. $20k sounds like a lot, but add ons add up fast.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:15 PM   #16

A lot depends on the Van you have and what you plan to do.
People didn't have deep pockets when 4x4 vans originally started being built.
I bet no would believe that Quigley did my 4x4 Bornfree in 1997 for under $5000.00...the receipt makes it seem like that including shipping from PA to Iowa.
A buddy just bought a 1-Year-old F150 4x4 XLT for $25,000....the whole truck with warranty
Mercedes charges $7495.00 extra for a Sprinter 4x4

I would have never thought Mercedes and bargain would be in the same sentence, but it doesn't make sense how expense these conversions are.

It is a niche market and the work is specialized. A lot of mechanics have the skills but then you end up with a one of kind build like nearly every 4x4 van that I saw going up.

I have heard rumors that some of the big guys have basically copied each other's kits anyway. I am not an expert but there can only be so much originality associated with mounting a driveline in a vehicle.

I have had qoutes for $2500 but they didn't have the marketing or the anyone vouching for them.

Not long ago, I found a forum post over a decade old where one of the most respected builders of today was selling his kit for $500.00...He was the new guy on the block back then.

I think the Ujoint kit installed by your local guy is probably the best option. Get axles from a wrecked excursion or F350/F250 and you should be good to go. Copart has tons of wrecks. The craziness in Texas should be a source of some good parts since everyone drives 4x4 trucks in that part of the country.
deshet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #17

Than, check out Agile in San Diego. Great riding on and off road 4x4 conversion.

By the end of a DIY style conversion, you will be probably be surprisingly close to the cost from a respected known entity, or will have contributed unbelievable amounts of time sourcing, shipping, cleaning, rebuilding, fixing, all that is needed.

The respected known entity will command a higher resale value over an unknown. Driving or riding in 10,000 lbs doing 80mph, it is comforting to know the install was done by someone who knows what they are doing and it is not their first or occasional conversion.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #18

Mornin is there any thread out there that compares agile ttb to ujoint leaf or coil conversions,or other builders that actually compares parts installed and which work better in different 4x4 scenarios (sand/mud/snow),which work better for heavy full conversionvans bumpers,racks etc vs passenger vans? If so please let me know or if someone is willing to start a thread for all the people like me that don’t fully understand the different systems and don’t want to make a $20-k mistake,thx
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
That's what's great about QuadVan. All moving parts are standard Ford dealer stock parts.
http://www.quadvan.com/quadvan-compe...omparison.html Any Ford dealer can do repairs on them, and no additional training or manuals are needed.
Exactly why I went with Quadvan and it rode better than my previous Quigley and a new one I test drove before I made my final decision. I also test drove the SMB 4x4 BTW. W/out having the paperwork in front of me I spent BTW 15-16k out the door. But this included wheels, tires, flares, dual shocks, steering damper, rear air bags and onboard air and re-gear.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Oogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #20

There have been lots of threads discussing the different conversions. Not sure there is a single thread with fine details as you have mentioned.

I have mentioned to a number of people - strongly consider finding vans with the considered conversions and see if you can get a drive in them. EVEN if it means getting on a plane to go drive one. $400 in airfares is just part of the cost of due diligence before dropping $15k to $30k (when all the OTHER stuff - bumpers, flares, winch, etc. get added)

If it is important that your significant other does like the ride, that would make driving and riding in one part of the decision.

Are there substantial differences in ride between the various setups? Yep.

How far are you driving on the highways, paved roads, dirt roads, washboard?
Are planning on rock crawling or heavy duty off-roading your built out van?