Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Sportsmobile Forum > Sportsmobiles > 4x4
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2016, 05:08 PM   #41

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
...E350 single rear wheel rotor:
mine do not look like that rotor pictured. mine have 4" of flat real estate between backside of wheel and clamping area on rotor. pic for reference, but still hard to tell, but you can see its a lot more flat across.

heres the only code anything i could find on the axle. granted it was 6am, cold, and there wasnt much room to move that bigass thing around. dodge unit??

sterling axle acquired. 4.10 lsd from an 05 being delivered to the shop for mods tomorrow. we emailed chris at ujoint on 11/23, asking questions regarding his spring perch setup kits and asked if his ss braided brake lines would work on my van since he removed his phone number from his website. site says he will respond within 24 hours, but no response yet i have a call in to the local spring manf to see if they have any alternatives/suggestions.

asking for recommendations regarding front hubs. do i need to stick with motorcraft or is it ok to run with a lesser brand? i would like to save a little moola, but not willing to compromise longevity. i know others running timken on their rigs, but they arent quite as heavy as my rig (5.4 vs 7.3). rolled through a scale yesterday coming back from the desert and my axle weights were 4160f/4680r. rear axle weight will change come camping season again (heavier), but i cant see front axle weights changing until i acquire a front bumper. winch was actually on the front when i was on the scale though...

also, can anyone confirm that the rear calipers are different between my 03 van and the 05 f250? axle was complete other than calipers.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:34 PM   #42

Not sure if it will help but there's some spring perch and drive shaft info in this recent thread regarding a sterling in a van. Just put a Sterling 10.5 into my van - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #43

Garage
^^^ holy cow....lol, nothing in that thread is reassuring.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 11-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #44

^ To add on to the Sterling thread... Instead of shortening the driveline, you could also just install F-series springs, which will move the axle back about an inch. Just might need to do a little clearancing if you need to run tire chains on big tires. The F-series springs will fit fine with aftermarket shackles (otherwise the stock shackles may rub on the bracket). Turning the stock ones around backwards may be enough too
Old 11-29-2016, 01:40 PM   #45

Garage
^^^ he goes on to say that he wouldn't shorten the shaft...

can you elaborate on reusing my 03 calipers on the 05 rear end, is it possible? info floating around is conflicting at best

also, recommendations on front hubs? is motorcraft a must or can I skimp here?
Old 11-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #46

Shenrie - it looks like the F and E-series calipers are the same, but the caliper brackets are not.

Also, the F-series calipers come in 3 flavors. Only the F450 gets 2.36" pistons which is the same as the E350. I assume the rest of the hardware is common, so you can put the bigger piston brakes on the lighter-rated axle. But I'm not sure. That's the best I can do with the specs. The part number on the caliper itself is common however, so should be fine.

I'd go with Warn hubs. They build the motorcraft ones also, except the motorcraft version has some "cost reductions" that they don't apply to their house brand.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:39 PM   #47

Garage
^^^ cool and ty. hopefully the calipers will crossover.

and im sorry...my terminology was a poor choice. i need to replace my wheel bearing assembly, not my locker assembly's. should i stick with the motorcraft hub bearing assemblies or can i use a lesser brand like timekin, moog, etc?
Old 11-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
^^^ cool and ty. hopefully the calipers will crossover.

and im sorry...my terminology was a poor choice. i need to replace my wheel bearing assembly, not my locker assembly's. should i stick with the motorcraft hub bearing assemblies or can i use a lesser brand like timekin, moog, etc?
My vote would be Timken followed by SKF. Napa premium is usually sourced from SKF and they also quite possibly make the OEM assembly. My understanding is there's a chance that bearings from either might be made in the US or Japan but anything from National or Moog is Chinese or made in Mexico. My 2 cents from googling around when I was doing my axle swap. I replaced all bearings with Timken and the gears were Dana Spicer.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #49

Garage
^^^ great info Joeh! tyvm!!
Old 01-08-2017, 07:45 PM   #50

Garage
Ok ford gurus, I need some help. Got the rear sterling axle installed, but I have no brakes. We bled them as normal, but I do not have the regular pedal feel. I can pump them up and they feel normal, but if I hold the brake pedal, I can feel it bleed off. Does this conversion require a different master cylinder or anything else? Front axle is from a 00-04 f350, rear axle is from a 05 f250, van is a 03. Any help is appreciated!