Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Sportsmobile Forum > Sportsmobiles > 4x4
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2017, 08:02 PM   #51

Nope, nothing special required. Where did you source the axle from? Are you sure you don't have a leaky piston seal? If it was sitting a long time, especially without fluid, the piston seals could be no bueno.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #52

Garage
Got the unit from a salvage yard. It had just got to the yard, but don't know history or how long it sat prior, but I guess it's irrelevant since it didn't have calipers. They are remains from smucks. I guess I could have a bad reman??

Let me ask you this. We tried to put this axle in a couple weeks ago and ran into a snag and had to put the stocker axle back in and order more stuff. When we went to bleed brakes the guy helping me said that the fronts didn't need rebled cause it was a separated system. We just bled the rears and it was fine. That was a first for me. That was all in one day so the brakes were only unpressureized an hour or so, this time it was unpressurized all weekend. We only bled the rears, but the pedal feels like there's air in the system to me. Do I need to bleed the fronts too?

Either way, thanks for the responses carringb, I really appreciate you taking the time to help all of us out.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:03 PM   #53

If i recall, the calipers can be put on the wrong sides and still bolt up. Are the calipers on correct sides? If not, the bleeder valve will be on the bottom of the caliper instead of top, and youll never get the air out.
expeditionnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:32 AM   #54

Yeah, bleed the whole system. Being open that long can introduce more moisture than desired, and eventually it mixes into all the fluid.

Of course, look for fluid on the rotors too. All of the parts stores outsource brake remans to Mexico or further, and quality control has definitely gone down.

After doing a full bleed... if it still doesn't feel right, go to a dealer unless you can find somebody with a Ford IDS system, and have a HCU-bleed function run. Being open that long may have gotten air in the parts of the HCU that don't normally see air during regular brake services:

Bleeding ABS Systems
Old 01-09-2017, 03:46 AM   #55

Garage
Yep, I'm guessing that's the problem then. I got 2 driver side rear calipers. I remember seeing the bleeder on the bottom of the caliper on the passenger side when I was tooling up for my helper. Will replace the caliper and bleed all four corners and report back.

Thanks carringb, that makes me feel a lot better. My luck as of late has been garbage. Crossing fingers that's the root of the issue.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 01-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #56

The caliper should be symmetric. L vs R only changes which end has tire bleeder pre installed. If the bleeder is on the wrong end you should be able to just swap it with the brake line.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:39 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
The caliper should be symmetric. L vs R only changes which end has tire bleeder pre installed. If the bleeder is on the wrong end you should be able to just swap it with the brake line.
Perhaps on oe ford castings this is true. Most of the castings floating around te rebuilt world arent milled for that.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #58

Agreed, my castings are symmetric but the machining isn't.
My brake cables attach in the middle, and the top is tapped for the bleeder. They are specific to the side of the vehicle.
Brian94ht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:10 PM   #59

Garage
^^^ yeppers, same with the ones I ended up with. Was standing at the door of smucks at 7:30am when they opened and got the correct caliper. Swappedem out and I have brakes again. Thanks for the help gents!

Brian also saw you as I was returning the wrong one and waved, but your tints so dark I couldn't tell if you saw me or not.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #60

Most Welcome!