Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #1

Deaver info ASAP!

Hey I just ordered some Deaver springs and since he's building them without my van I'd like to know if anyone has had a ~2005 EB 50 with the diesel 6.0 in their shop for springs-

I know Jeff M has the same van in an RB... so, any EBs?

Alternatively if anyone with a diesel EB 50 wants to roll by there and get measured that would work as well.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #2

Garage
Good for you!

I want 'em, too, but, money is going elsewhere right now.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:24 PM   #3

Hey Jeremiah -

I don't necessarily have any answers for you, but am curious what information you had to provide them. When I last talked to Jeff at Deaver, he said that he wouldn't ship the springs to me, but that he wanted the van there for them to install and make any tweaks on the spot.

Please post follow up to your experience and installation since you and I have the same year and layout van. I'm hoping now that they have done a few SMB's, they will have the ability to ask for van year and front / rear weight and just ship the springs.

I'll be getting them as soon as I fill up another bucket of money.

Thanks -
Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:58 PM   #4

Luckily I have my niece's visit and summer camping as an impetus to go ahead and put the money into these. Of course 35s will have to wait now... ah well.

I called Jeff @Deaver last week and talked about coming out as I'd planned a trip to LA this month. He was gracious enough to push several things to "rush" my springs (I believe him when he said the quality will not be rushed) to fit with my trip.

The original purpose of the trip fell through, and I was considering driving to Deaver anyway- two days out (7hrs each) and two days back, plus whatever time he'd have to have the van just to get the springs.

The cost of having a local shop install them is comprable for the gas for me, and Jeff is willing to share the modifications they make to fit everything perfectly (cut some of this off, replace that with this) and send me everything with the springs, that it's a no brainer.

The springs are being built off of Jeff's (myriadmyriad) specs, as I think the 12 tons of stuff he packs about makes up for the EB, but I'm hoping to find a customer who has actually be there with an EB 50 Diesel and baring that load up this weekend and get some weights finally just to make sure I get the right springs.

And that's it so far. Jeff seemed busy today but the conversations we've had have been fantastic and I'm really impressed with them- I just wish I could justify going down there to get the install done.

I'm looking at $1200 each axle and ~$130 to ship via freight. Apparently the 1200 does not include install @Deaver so there is no savings there, and the local shop I talked to quoted $125 per spring.

So all told we're looking at $3030 and approximately one month... thanks largely to those who have gone before!
Old 05-09-2008, 03:10 PM   #5

.... the rest of us (well, at least me) now thank you for being one of those that "have gone before".

Look forward to the post install review.

... time to go harvest the money tree, I need to fill up again ($4.59 a gallon now, ouch) .....

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:14 AM   #6

Jage,

I have to credit Jeff Merritt for the idea, his post inspired me to pursue the upgrade. All said and done, it was a very worthwhile improvement on our rig! $3k is a lot of money to spend, especially when you can only go on speculation and other's feedback to guide the process. At least that was what I fretted over until the project was done...

Your feedback from Jeff @ Deaver mirrors ours: They are all about making the ride better, and know how to go about doing it. They are very good at communication and it was evident that customer satisfaction is a priority. Our SMB has double the travel over each axel (measured in between F/R bump stops). Going from the stock SMB springs with 5 leaf packs to 11-12 has made a huge change in smoothing out our ride, on and of road.

And you know when you pul in a drive way, or off camber turn with a sharp bump..at least our van's interior felt like everything was going to go into orbit, or fall out...the stock suspension was so friggin' stiff.

All that is gone. What we have no is the ride I expected to have when we first picked up at SMB West in Sept. 08.

Good luck, keep us posted.

-Jeff
canyonclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:27 PM   #7

My springs will ship tomorrow. I'm getting them installed @$125/spring at a local shop on the 29th. Here is the info Deaver sent:

Quote:
The upper spring plates above the springs need to be reduced by 1.25" to allow more up travel. We cut that square tube and weld in a new piece of flat stock. Our spring is thicker and this will allow you have more up travel to enhance the ride you're looking for.
Not real clear. Anyone got post install pics of this square tube cut and welded?
Old 05-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #8

Jage - I haven't done the the Deavers, but in looking under my van ('07) the only thing I can see that they might be talking about are the bump stops. There are pieces of rectangular tubing on top of the front springs that contact the stock rubber Ford bump stops and square tubing on the rear between the Ford rubber bumpers and the frame. Maybe they want these removed/shortened? That would give you more upward movement. As long as you still hit the stops and not something hard or expensive.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #9

Deaver Springs

Jage ,
My spring upgrade is finished and we have the 2007 EB50 weighing in at 10,590 pounds with only myself and all fluids at maximum levels ,I then had Jeff add to this figure an additional 500 pounds to accommodate misc. gear and the 24 foot Bay ranger Boat .If you contact Jeff and tell him that your spring parameters should approximate the set that he built for for
SOLO MOTORSPORTS in Azusa California he will be able to figure out your needs . Our van is in our gallery and is heavier than most . Bobby at Solo works almost exclusively with Deaver for the building of numerous Off Road Racing vehicles . This spring set up will accommodate the Old Man Emu shocks until my Custom Valved 7100 Bilstein are installed . Hope this helps .
Greggde

P.S. I have installed Deavers on three other 4X4 vans and found that it was the single best addition that I ever made
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #10

So Jage, anything to report on the springs?? I'm really interested in how they are working for you. Especially with doing all the ordering over the phone. Info, info, info....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote