Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2007, 05:57 PM   #11

The Discount Tire here in Grand Junction (CO) is not so stringent. They are more than willing to upsize etc within reason.

saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:48 PM   #12

For what it's worth, Big-O Tire in San Ramon, CA has rotated and balanced my tires twice without any questions (or cost). These are the tires and wheels that came on the used SMB I bought, not even purchased from them. I've been doing business with them for about 10 years on multiple vehicles, so I'm guessing that's a big part of it. Although I know I can probably get my pending new wheels and tires less expensive somewhere else, I'll probably use them for the existing relationship and good service.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #13

Last time I got non-standard size tires at Costco, I took a floor jack with me and removed one tire & wheel at a time and rolled 'em in the tire shop door and they mounted what I wanted. A serious pain in the butt, but only needs to be done every 30-40k.
Even though SMB modified the rig, Costco goes by what it sez in their computer. Or at best, what your door sticker says.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage
Tires

I just had Costco install two new rear 285/75R16 Friday. (I don't have spacers). I had to have them order them because I upgraded to the load range E tires. Hope this doesn't spread.
Dave Boyer Turlock Ca

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:38 AM   #15

I don't have spacers on as I replaced the axles, but one of the first places I took my van after the 4x4 conversion was to my local les schwab store where they have engineered non factory wheel packages for both my corvette and mustang. Also, I had a leaky front air-spring and they install those as well. The service manager let me follow him into the parts warehouse and we got a good 360 degree look at the leaky part before I attempted my repair on the road (which was super easy).

Les Schwab has always impressed me with their service and attitude. when I go back there this week to get a credit for my factory tires, I'll ask them what their opinion is on spacers.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #16
Site Team

Getting ready to drive up to Washington state, and wanted to have my tires rotated. Long story short, the tires were getting low on tread, the front ones had the inside edge very worn due a front end alignment problem, and suddenly one of the rears was losing air where they tires had all been tight since I've owned the SMB.

Brought the SMB into America's TireCo. initially for the rotation, but because of all the factors, and we'll have our son with us on our trip, I erred on the side of caution and ended up with 4 new BFG all terrains 285/75/16's (ouch$$$$). Back to the point I obviously have larger than stock tires, and I have wheel spacers, and they had no problem selling and installing the tires.

I was ready to argue that while the Ford van is stock with smaller tires and no spacers, the RV manufacturer, SMB, builds and equips the RV with the larger tires and wheel spacers, so therefore it's within "manufacturer" specs. If I have a full size Winnebago, do they check to see the source of the axles? I doubt it.

Herb

[edit: Discount Tire Company and America's Tire Company are the same company]
Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #17
Site Team

Should also add that the 285/75/16's that I bought were "E" load rated due to a higher ply sidewall, and correspondingly higher load capacity, versus the "D" load rated tires I previously had.

Now for the strange part, the "E" rated tires were $20/tire cheaper than the "D" rated tires. The "E" series are only speed rated at 100mph max, versus the "D" series rated at 106mph. Not much difference. Not that I would go as fast as either of those speeds, but there's always more safety margin with higher rated tires.

Herb