Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2017, 08:25 AM   #31

Garage
Oh ok, ya those will work.

985-24-009 - 26.150" Extended, 16.050" Compressed, 10" Stroke, Stem Top
985-24-068 - 28.950" Extended, 17.850" Compressed, 11" Stroke, Eyelet Top

Its about an inch taller at ride height than the other ones and then your adding another inch with the bracket so your close to 12" stroke.

I don't know why Chris doesn't like using the stem top shocks and would rather just install that bracket that essentially turns the shocks he uses into a stem top. Seems kinda silly but it is what it is.

Also, the rear shock should be mounted in the bottom hole on the axle bracket. If its mounted higher (which it looks like in the photo) then thats not right and I am thinking someone mounted it up there before because they didnt want to buy the correct length shock and would rather just drill a new hole in the bracket to make whatever shock was on there before fit.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Oh ok, ya those will work.

985-24-009 - 26.150" Extended, 16.050" Compressed, 10" Stroke, Stem Top
985-24-068 - 28.950" Extended, 17.850" Compressed, 11" Stroke, Eyelet Top

Its about an inch taller at ride height than the other ones and then your adding another inch with the bracket so your close to 12" stroke.

I don't know why Chris doesn't like using the stem top shocks and would rather just install that bracket that essentially turns the shocks he uses into a stem top. Seems kinda silly but it is what it is.

Also, the rear shock should be mounted in the bottom hole on the axle bracket. If its mounted higher (which it looks like in the photo) then thats not right and I am thinking someone mounted it up there before because they didnt want to buy the correct length shock and would rather just drill a new hole in the bracket to make whatever shock was on there before fit.
I think the advantage of converting with the bracket is it's easier to change shocks. On the driver's side, it's 1/16 turn at a time on the stem because the rear AC lines don't leave much room to work.

I just noticed the same regarding where the rear shocks are mounted. I was looking at the picture of the radius arm mount I posted with the shock mount in the background and wondered if there is a hole to mount the shock lower in the axle bracket. I installed the last 2 sets of shocks, but Quigley probably installed the set before that. I'm guessing they used the upper hole and I just continued to use the same hole. I sure didn't enjoy compressing the shocks by hand to get them up there.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:41 AM   #33

Garage
How often are you planning on changing shocks?! Ha ha. I know its not an easy thing to do but its easier if you just throw a wrench on the nut and spin the shock body. That tightens it most of the way and then a couple more turns on the nut locks it in.

Ya that must have been tough!

Edit - There should only be one hole in that axle bracket and it should be on the very bottom of the bracket so any other holes should be ignored and were drilled after it left the factory.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:51 AM   #34

Garage
those adapters look waaaaaay easier to use! if mine ever have to come off again, I am buying those things and converting to eyelets for sure. the current setup is garbage. my rip kit was only on there 2-3 years and the one next to the tank seized up on me trying to remove it to replace last summer. took me almost 2 hours for one damn shock. I was soooo pissed....
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:05 AM   #35

Didn't make a lot of progress this weekend, but here's what I accomplished

I got the broken drill bit out of the passenger side frame rail so I could finish installing the passenger side radius arm mount.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2001.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	15034

I mounted the spring perches on the front axle which goes something like this:
Mount spring perch in OEM shock bolt hole
Wonder how I'm going to tighten nut surrounded on 3 sides
Try different wrenches
Line wrench will get on nut
Tighten bolt using line wrench as back-up
Can't get line wrench off nut
Loosen bolt to remove line wrench
Consider grinding down end wrench to fit in hole
Consider tac welding nut to axle
Call MG and ask how to get back up on nut to tighten bolt
Jam something between nut and part of axle to keep nut from spinning per MG's advice
Picture: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2002.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	15032
Tighten bolt
Mount spring perch on other side and tighten
Turn axle over and attempt to install bolts through spring perches to OEM spring perch threads
Motivate spring perches to line up with threads
Finish mounting spring perches
Attempt to mount radius arms
Remove spring perches because radius arm bolts won't clear
Mount radius arms
Mount spring perches again
Mount trac bar to axle

Next I decided to drop the rear shocks to the appropriate holes. I guess Quigley welded their own shock mount to the factory rear shock mounts so that the OEM shocks would fit after they installed the lift block below the springs. I really wish they would have just used longer shocks, because it took me about 3 hours of cutting, grinding, drilling, and compressing shocks by hand to test fit. About 15 test fits later, I got the mounts modified so that I could use the OEM holes. Now my shocks fit correctly.

What's the trick to compressing these Fox 2.0 shocks? I consider myself a pretty fit person with slightly above average strength, but it took almost all of my strength to compress those shocks by hand.

I cleaned up some wiring for my on board air compressor which I had to drop to install the driver's side radius arm mount and called it a day.

I still need to weld up the trac bar mount and install the bump stops, then I should be ready to put the front axle under the van.Here's a picture from behind the trac bar mount showing how Quigley modified the cross-member.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1999.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	15033
Old 02-20-2017, 09:17 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsix View Post
Finish mounting spring perches
Attempt to mount radius arms
Remove spring perches because radius arm bolts won't clear
Mount radius arms
Mount spring perches again
Don't feel bad, I've been there too...and it's my kit design. haha!
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:19 AM   #37

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsix View Post
What's the trick to compressing these Fox 2.0 shocks?
Attachment 15033
Sometimes a pry bar.

Ford does have a retaining nut that can go on that lower shock bolt so you don't have to jam something in there but its kinda pricey and its not like your going to be removing it anytime soon. I say if it comes with the axle when you get it from a yard then cool but if not just do MGs method.

Glad to see you made more progress!

Edit - After doing a couple of these you think I would have learned to put the radius arms on first, but I haven't gotten it right once.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:47 AM   #38

Garage
Lmao, I did the same thing with tysons van. What? i have to take it apart? But those nuts were a pita to get tight... too funny.

Don't feel so bad now for not reading the instructions, then again I am a man and never do
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:19 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
Lmao, I did the same thing with tysons van. What? i have to take it apart? But those nuts were a pita to get tight... too funny.

Don't feel so bad now for not reading the instructions, then again I am a man and never do
There are instructions?! Seriously, I didn't get any instructions. The last mysteries where the bump stop spacers and coil retaining washers which MG answered for me on Saturday.

I had an assortment of prybars for compressing the rear shocks. About the only think to pry from is the lower shock mount where the shocks needs to go in. Now that the shocks fit, changing them won't be bad. There were lots of curse words and deep breaths while checking fit between grinding and cutting sessions on the mounts Quigley welded in though.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #40

I'm interested in your agile RIP if you're interested in selling and it's not already spoken for.
SaltStainedEyes is offline   Reply With Quote