Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #31

So, very low pressure causes the sidewalls to bulge out noticeably. The question I still have, is if that makes them more prone to sidewall damage? On one hand, they would seem to be more exposed, but on the other hand I wonder if the tire would be more apt to form around an object than might otherwise cause damage.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #32

Well I can tell you from experience that the bulging sidewalls does make them much more vulnerable to damage. The sidewalls start to crack a bit as well. What has happened to me, several times, is that the bulging sidewall will nick a root or rock and just blow out because they have been weakened. I`ve had to change more then a few tires while out in the deep sand.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #33

Garage
I've had the opposite experience... on some of the sharp shale roads way up north... Aired up, the tires get sliced up in a hurry. Aired down, much less damage and no flats.
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #34

To comment the manufacturer support, I once had the tread completely separate from a tire on the 395 highway in California. The tire didn't deflate but the tread ripped off. While my insurance company paid for the damage, BF Goodrich denied any liability because the tire showed signs of being under inflated or over inflated at some time.
dosmena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #35

EB350 V10 SMB build, probably close to 9500# with the reunell bombers and everything. E rated BFG KO2s

The lowest I have ever run is about 30 psi in the eastern sierras. The rocks are a bit murderous on the sidewalls, but largely just cosmetic damage. One thing I do notice is that on switchbacks with camber or when I had to navigate ruts, the van feels a bit more "rolly" or tippy.... or at least feels "softer" in that dynamic motion... a small price to pay for the comfort of the ride.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:03 PM   #36

Ridge,
May I ask, what is the maximum psi your tires will hold? 80 psi? I'm referring to the picture of your tire at 10 psi.
ScottFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:22 PM   #37

Garage
^^^ he hasn’t logged on to this forum since 2016
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
^^^ he hasn’t logged on to this forum since 2016
Probably cause he has ABUSED the van so much he dose not have it anymore
Beasty Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #39

Garage
could be wrong, but i seem to remember that the van belonged to a friend of his that passed away and his friends dad gave him the van. iirc him and his buddy used it to drive from motox race to race when they were growing up and he made a lot of memories in it. I’m guessing he’s still out doing his thing in that van hopefully I haven’t misspoken as my memory isn’t what it used to be...
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 07:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
. I’m guessing he’s still out doing his thing in that van hopefully I haven’t misspoken as my memory isn’t what it used to be...
Oh yea, he's still at it for sure. He just won his class in the Baja 1000. This is his van.
Attached Thumbnails
chris jumping.jpg  
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote