Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #1

Garage
Dodge 4x4?

Is anyone out there converting the newer Dodge RAM vans to 4x4? I think they are great looking, with big rear doors and comfy cabs. A nice SMB conversion with a 50 style floor plan would be fine for me (when my current SMB wears out). I can dream, can't I?

Old 12-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #2

Garage
Are you talking about the newest (on sale now) full-size Dodge vans? The Ram ProMasters?

A 4WD conversion would be fascinating to see someone do on one of those....
....but it's highly unlikely, seeing as those vans are front-wheel-drive.

But where there's a will (and lots of time/money/swearing), there's surely a way.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:25 PM   #3

Garage
https://newatlas.com/fiat-ducato-4x4-camper/51134/
Attached Thumbnails
fiat-4x4-ducato-17.jpg  
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #4

Garage
^^ That's rad! ^^

And it's probably the **only** hope we have of 4WD happening for the Dodge ProMaster versions of those vans.

Note that that promised Fiat factory-engineered 4WD system **still has yet to actually go on sale** in Italy. From there, we can cross fingers that Dodge Marketing here in the US feels that 4WD is worth bringing along to the Ram ProMaster as well.

It could be a long wait though....usually when something like that happens in Europe first, we have to wait until production scales up (and home market needs are all met first) before we get versions shipped our way too.

I dig those Ram ProMasters too! But as they sit now (front-wheel-drive only) they're a non-starter. That Fiat 4WD would change things completely.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #5

Yep, the whole advantage to the Promaster is the incredibly low floor throughout the cargo area due to the FWD. You get a really high ceiling without a really tall van. Jeffrey, there are several working on and selling 4wd systems for the Transit if you like it. Another disadvantage I've heard about the Promaster is lack of power and a robust drivetrain, pretty typical for Chrysler products IMHO. The Ecoboost in the Transit is quite a machine and can be had in 4x4.

Here's what Chevy needs to build, since their the last ones to bring out a new Euro style van, if they ever do:

1.Economical and powerful turbo diesel
2.Low floor like Promaster but with 4wd or AWD
3.Styling to equal the Sprinter, which is worlds better than the ugly Transit or Promaster nose (my opinion, and I bought a Transit but still don't love the nose)
4.60/40 barn doors on the sides like the older vans without forcing everyone to endure a slider door
5.Perhaps something engineered to be reliable, not have a million recalls and be as tough as the old body-on-frame vans we all love.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Here's what Chevy needs to build, since their the last ones to bring out a new Euro style van, if they ever do...
With GM's decision to go all-electric, I have to wonder how much R&D innovation they will put into technology that will soon be axed anyway.

Who knows, they may be the first to bring out a lithium powered van. Range when going into the backcountry would really concern me.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
...Who knows, they may be the first to bring out a lithium powered van. Range when going into the backcountry would really concern me.
Range in the backountry? How about suitable range on the interstate to start?

Herb
Old 12-14-2017, 12:28 AM   #8

Ha, No argument there, but at least along the interstate there will (eventually) be places to recharge. If all vehicles eventually become electric, I'm not sure how you get into and out of the backcountry at all.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
...Low floor like Promaster but with 4wd or AWD...
Typically, 'low floor' and RWD or 4x4 don't go together. That pesky transfer case and rear driveshaft make it hard to have a low floor.

Herb
Old 12-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #10

So, in a slightly similar vein, does anyone know of 4x4 convo’s being done on the older Dodge Ram vans?

I’m considering buying a lo mileage, early 2000’s Ram 350 hightop van with a blank interior, but having some second thoughts about getting rid of my 4x4 Chevy 3/4 Ton pickup to do so.

So i was wondering if anyone had ever seen/heard of a shop doing a 4WD conversion to the Ram Vans? (I don’t want to hi jack this thread so perhaps you all can pm me if you have the answer?)
gbail is offline   Reply With Quote