Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2012, 11:34 AM   #1

Does Permatex thread lock work?

There are times when I want to do everything I can to prevent things from falling apart. I have use both blue (removable) and red (permanent) thread lock on various parts over the years and have never had a problem. Last week I bolted a part to the frame and used red thread lock on the nut threads and, for good measure, put a few drops on the threads that extend past the nut. Yesterday I was checking another component and noticed the red thread lock seemed to be wet. I touched it - it was wet! My concern is that if it is still wet it act as a lubricant.
Anyone know how this stuff works? Does it solidify under pressure?

SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Does Permatex thread lock work?

"Before talking about how Loctite® works, first let’s understand the difference between the curing process and drying. When Loctite® dries out, it does not achieve the same effect as when it properly cures. The curing process requires two elements: metal ions and a lack of oxygen (anaerobic environment). Simply put, when you place Loctite® on a metal bolt and screw it in, you are providing metal ions from the metal, and depriving it of air (oxygen), both elements necessary for the curing process. This curing (instead of drying) is essential to how Loctite® creates the bond between the threads that gives us the thread-locking effect."

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #3

I just did a test last week! I always thought it did not work because a drop on paper never dries. I was told it would work on metal but that made no sense to me. Good thing I did not bet. I used the blue on a nut and bolt. After a couple of days the nut would not unscrew with my fingers. It really works!

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #4

Loctite is almost a generic name. It can apply to anaerobics as well as cyanacrylates. Here I am only discussing anaerobic, threadlocker products.

As mentioned above, it cures in the absence of oxygen. When the threads fit close enough (less than 0.005") it will cure fairly quickly. Some versions will cure gaps of 0.015" or more. A drop on the exposed threads will not cure.

Some metals (notably, aluminum and stainless steel) are 'passive' and may not cause the Loctite to cure. For these applications Loctite makes a series of primers or accelerators to promote curing of the threadlocker.

Oh, if you have a couple of half full bottles of Loctite, don't pour them into one bottle and fill it. It will turn into a solid. You really need the airspace in the bottle.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote