Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #1

EB 4X4 CLEARANCE QUESTION

Do those of you who own Extended Body vans have any issues with front and rear clearance in tight situations. Or overall handling issues.
It just seems to me that a RB would be a better style for a SMB 4X4. I've owned 4X4 trucks and jeeps and all around size and length were factors.
I've noticed on the SMB website that the RB 4x4's are selling and the EB's are not.
I've been considering buying a 4x4 SMB but an EB just doesn't sit right with me. Not that I would be Bajaing in it.

Bob in Tucson

Old 01-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #2

For wheeling the RB is the way to go. The EB will hinder you on the departure angle. Oh but the extra room is so luxurious. Let the the rearend drag!

Craig
05 EB 50 V10 4x4 Baja Tan
calclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #3

The only difference is the overhang in the back and the extra room inside. The front and the wheelbase are the same.

I've yet to hear of an actual problem with the EB's extra back. A lot of people choose the RB for concerns over this but I've also never heard of someone scraping the RB bumper or hitch (which would indicate an EB might have had a problem in the exact situation).

So has anyone ever actually hung an EB up on the rear?
Old 01-30-2008, 07:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
The only difference is the overhang in the back and the extra room inside. The front and the wheelbase are the same.

I've yet to hear of an actual problem with the EB's extra back. A lot of people choose the RB for concerns over this but I've also never heard of someone scraping the RB bumper or hitch (which would indicate an EB might have had a problem in the exact situation).

So has anyone ever actually hung an EB up on the rear?
Sort of. I had the ball on my trailer hitch get hung up once on a relatively steep climb. Fortunately, the dirt was soft and it just plowed through with no trouble.

OTOH, there have been dozens of trips where the extra storage space in our EB was filled to the limit. I don't do much serious 4x4 driving and really value the extra space in the EB. As with many things, it depends.
R
Old 01-30-2008, 07:43 AM   #5

We've had our EB over about every jeep pass in Colorado (Engineer, Cinnamon, Imogene, Tip Cup, etc.) with no issues. Last year I added airbags on the rear for just a better general ride level, but was also told that if I ever needed I could get about an extra 8" of rear height if needed. I have also noticed improved 4wd handling because there is less rear body bounce. Our custom design would not fit inside an RB, so often your design will guide you unless you are going with one of the standard designs. We also have the PSD diesel, so with the additional torque and less power loss at high altitudes we see no performance loss fully loaded at over 11,000 pounds.
VANZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:10 PM   #6

I was originally looking for an RB as well for the perception that the EB was too long to really go 4 wheeling in. My wife suggested (that's a nice way of putting it) that the extra space of an EB would be better. I've had my 2005 EB50 for a little over a year now and am very pleased I went that route. I've done some moderate 4-wheeling (I'm dying to get on the trails Vanzilla mentions) and haven't been hindered by the longer overhang yet. For our needs the EB was the right choice.

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:48 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
I also thought about the clearance issue on an EB. However, my wife and I decided to order an EB and thinking of adding air bags suspension, for an extra lift for clearance, once the back leafs settle down. Just my 2 cents! Good Luck!

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #8

That extra 20" overhang will definitly drag in some circumstances and undoubtly have caused a few EB oner's some grief. Imagine sticking nearly 2 feet on the back of a Jeep and watch the sparks fly. I have an RB and even it has dragged enough to damage a small step that is mounted in the draw bar hitch and it only adds about 8" (but is easily removed).

It all boils down to how hard core your 4-wheeling will be versus your need for more room (and weight!) in the rear. Choices, always choices.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #9

Re: EB 4X4 CLEARANCE QUESTION

What is the real clearance on a Sportsmobile 4x4 conversion (they list it at 16") ?
erwinturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:51 PM   #10

Re: EB 4X4 CLEARANCE QUESTION

I have dragged my EB's rear end and hitch on a number of trails. Had to winch it out once while crossing a dry creekbed. But it wouldn't change my mind about getting an EB. That additional space is worth it.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote