Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Evap Leak on Gas Tank

Driving down PCH, I noticed the check engine light on. Called Peter with SMB West and he advised to take our SMB to a nearby Ford dealer. Well, this was a week ago. Cerritos Ford told me that there is an "evap leak" in our aftermarket gas tank! After further investigation, they found a solenoid that was damaged (had saw marks) during the tank's install. Cerritos Ford finished the installation of the new solenoid on Friday and reported that they found another leak! Now they have to take the tank out and inspect it further.
Has anyone had any problems like this? Sorry for venting, but we've only had our SMB for 3 weeks and its been in the dealer 1/3 of the time! Thanks for hearing me out!

-Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #2

I can only empathise. My SMB check engine light came on about 10 blocks from the former owners driveway. It spent 1/2 it's time at the dealership for the first month and on several trips.

It's been good since, (knock on wood) but those first 3 months were unhappy ones.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:36 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Thanks for your empathy Jage! I will let you guys know the outcome and details.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #4

I had a leak in our after market 46 gallon tank about a year after picking up our 06 SMB. No engine light though. Sportsmobile West pulled the tank made the repair (no charge) and I was on my way in 4 hours.
Last week I purchased a FORD locking fuel cap for the diesel tank (FC-1062 or 8L3Z-9030E, as marked on the box). The parts guy said it was not for the diesel but we could not see any difference between the stock cap and the locking cap. Great fit and the $250 worth of fuel below the locking cap seems safer. Check engine light came on in a few days. After a trip to Ford and $87 later, I still have the check engine light. The tech says the code indicates “fuel pressure ”. They reset the light and I was good to go, for a mile or two before it came back on. Unless I hear that I’m in for some sort of trouble, I’ll leave it that way.

2006 SMB, RB 50, with a Ford 2008 F350 4X4 installed by S&K

11 RB150 MB Sprinter w/pop top
Burklin is offline   Reply With Quote