Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by torboschen View Post
Hi MG any updates for us on the Transit 4x4 saga?
I work on the design every day. I've made some really good progress the last couple weeks too. I'm close enough on some of the part designs that I've started working with the press brake operator and machinist to figure out any special tooling needs and we've started doing some test pieces to check for fit up. We'll be making usable parts by mid-Oct.

As you may imagine, there's a list of little details a mile long. I've got my ideas for each and every item on that list but I'm also working on two customer builds and other product development efforts. Not enough hours in the day...and my wife won't let me work 20 hours per day, 7 days per week.
__________________

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I work on the design every day. I've made some really good progress the last couple weeks too. I'm close enough on some of the part designs that I've started working with the press brake operator and machinist to figure out any special tooling needs and we've started doing some test pieces to check for fit up. We'll be making usable parts by mid-Oct.

As you may imagine, there's a list of little details a mile long. I've got my ideas for each and every item on that list but I'm also working on two customer builds and other product development efforts. Not enough hours in the day...and my wife won't let me work 20 hours per day, 7 days per week.
MG, anything new to report on the Transit efforts over the past month or so? I've listed for sale my tricked-out '87 Volkswagen Vanagon to raise funds for a Transit!

Thanks!
__________________

JT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT87 View Post
MG, anything new to report on the Transit efforts over the past month or so? I've listed for sale my tricked-out '87 Volkswagen Vanagon to raise funds for a Transit!

Thanks!
As a matter of fact, yes. Lots to report. I got some of the prototype laser'd and formed parts last week (OMG they are beautiful!). I'm planning on writing up a new update soon; just trying to get some parts assembled so I can show pictures!
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:29 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
As a matter of fact, yes. Lots to report. I got some of the prototype laser'd and formed parts last week (OMG they are beautiful!). I'm planning on writing up a new update soon; just trying to get some parts assembled so I can show pictures!
Awesome, looking forward to seeing what you've come up with!
JT87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 10:45 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Flux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Palmdale, CA
Posts: 1,381
When MG goes silent, it means he's getting it done!
__________________
<br>
Tim - 2013 EB V10 Agile 4x4 SMB PH Ginger Army All Terrain Mobile HQ
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 29
Subscribed to keep up with progress of the magician!
__________________
1998 Adventurewagen quigley v10
1994 e250 hightop action van lift on 33's (sold)
Yeahbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:05 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Newberg, OR
Posts: 936
There's so much going on right now but we finally got a chance to make some prototype parts and install them. Not 4x4 yet but the plan is to test out the new ride height/suspension geometry/tire size/gear change during a long road trip over the xmas break. I found a low miles, 3.73 limited slip axle on ebay for a deal so we installed that rather than opening up the stock axle and committing to a gear change right now (I'm not convinced yet that I want 3.73s anyway...I might go 4.10s with a locker for our rig. This route is a less-work, less-expense test with the bonus of having an extra axle around to play with in the end).

The van sits perfect (for my tastes). Ride is much better with Fox 2.0s out back. Handling feels just like the stock van (with a slightly heavier feel of the larger tires).

Wheels: Method Standard, matte black, 17x7.5, 5x160mm, 50mm offset
Tires: Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx 265/70-17

mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:34 PM   #18
Site Team
 
BroncoHauler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southern New Mexico
Posts: 8,877
Wow, starting to look like a van instead of a Crossover.


Herb
__________________
SMB-less as of 02/04/2012. Our savings account is richer, but our adventures are poorer.
BroncoHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Flux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Palmdale, CA
Posts: 1,381
Looking real good!
__________________
<br>
Tim - 2013 EB V10 Agile 4x4 SMB PH Ginger Army All Terrain Mobile HQ
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:20 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
gnty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 428
Looks fantastic, making good head way!
__________________

__________________
2005 E350 EB 4x4 6.0 Super Camper HT
2005 E350 RB Passenger 4x4 6.0
1995 Bigfoot 20' Class C 4x4 7.3
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Sportsmobile SIP or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.