Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #31
CJ

Send a message via Yahoo to CJ
Re: Extreme Air - In or Out?

Geeez there ahs to be a better way.

Here ya go, there are more in my Gallery.

The first one is a view from the pass side front of the van is on the right.

This one taken from the driver side looking to the back of the van.

This is the tank on the pass side looking to the front of the van.

There are more in the gallery I think you can orient the rest. Let me know if ya need more. Its a new camera and I need the practice with it.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #32

Ed,

My air pressure gage, on and off switch and access point is behind the access door that covers the propane tank on the drivers side. I can easily access all 4 tires with the long yellow coil hose that came with my compressor.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:47 AM   #33

Thanks CJ and Angel! The pics and advice do help. Now I have to shovel some wet snow and crawl under the van to see where to put the sucker.

CJ, your van must be a gas fueled V10 cause I can't see any giant starter batteries for a diesel on the passenger side. I will have to mount the 2 gallon air tank somewhere else.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ
Anyway, I would stress that you run lines and get a fitting front and rear. It's on my long list to get lines run to the front and rear and to reposition the fittings so they are not under the Van. Not to sure about others but I have had some trouble with dirt/mud/etc clogging the one fitting I have under the van
As a stopgap solution to the fitting under your van, get a 35mm plastic film can (I stopped shooting film years ago but the local 1-hour photo place gave me some film cans), cut a hole in the lid and slide it over the quick coupler. (You'll want a tight fit between the lid and the quick coupler.) You can then snap the can onto the lid (assuming you oriented the lid correctly) to keep dirt out of the quick coupler. Throw a couple of extra film cans in your tool box just in case you lose one. But I never did.

Getting an air line to the rear was relatively easy but figuring out a good solution to run an air line to the front was a challenge. I used regular rubber air hose and didn't want the hose near the engine or exhaust nor outside the frame. I ended up sliding it into a factory-cut hole in the frame near where my compressor was mounted and then forward and out another hole near where the bumper is mounted. It took a while but solved my problem...
Old 02-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #35
CJ

Ed,
Nope its Diesel, the batteries are right behind my head from the photo point of view. The tank is basically right below the pass door

Yvrr,
Thanks thats a simple short solution and I have 35mm containers still laying around. I do plan on fixing it permanently though. Thanks for the idea......"Film container MUD cover"
Old 02-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #36

Another option, for filling tires.

I have the viar 100% duty cycle mounted under the goucho inside. I agree with running the port and or switch to the propane access area. Keeps everything clean and available. I really wanted a storage tank, but couldn't find a good place for one so came up with a different plan. I have two regulators, one at the compressor to turn it on and off at 90psi, and one by the fill port to set for fill pressure. I also got a locking air chuck. Now to fill tires I turn on the compressor, set the second regulator to 60psi, lock the air chuck on the tire and do something else until the tire is filled. Sooooo much better than sitting on the ground checking and rechecking tire pressures with a slow air compressor. Works so well I doubt I'll install a tank.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #37

Newbie here with a build starting in July.

How does all this fit in with an ARB locker and its air compressor?

I was thinking the need is for only one compressor on the vehicle, maybe not? How well would the ARB compressor, they have a couple units as well, work for dual function? I would not be airing tires very often if ever but would like an air source to blow out the van and ski bindings and etc. The ARB compressor is about $275 vs $1k for the extreme air...

Jim
Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #38
Site Team

Garage

You really need an air tank to blow out stuff. SMB suggested I keep the two compressors. The ARB compressor I have would be worthless to air tires and fill the tank. I'm sure they make different models though. The ARB compressor engages the lockers in about 3 seconds but would take forever to fill a tank. I wanted a full duty cycle compressor for airing tires and tank so I went with the Extreme air. YMMV

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #39
CJ

X2 with what Dave said. I'm very happy with both.