Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #11

Re: Fat Gal needs a new rear end

Quote:
Did you notice any negative affects on the handling?
Not at all. Aside from right after the initial install when I was measuring and focusing wether I could tell a difference, I don't even notice it or think about it any more.

Quote:
My understanding from Sportsmobile was that they repositioned the shock mounts higher for ground clearance purposes. Did you have to make that change on your axle?
Yes, the stock mounts were cut off the "new" axle and modified / re-attached to match the mounting location change that SMB made. It's really not a big deal though. I had a local shop do the swap. I was going to do it, but I do not have a level work space or really all the proper tools to jack my van high enough and secure it in place to safely do the job. I, like Mike, also kept my stock brakes since they were a known quantity.

For what it's worth, my axle supposedly came from a 2005 E-350 cut-a-way van that had been in service as a Safeway refrigerated delivery van. It had an open diff. I had a Powr-Lok LSD installed. See http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtop...lutch&start=15 for some dialogue regarding what I went through with the LSD. It's all good now that it has the non-metalic clutch packs in it.

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #12

That is great to hear about having no change in the handling.

I guess that I will have to pull out the buzz-box and warm up my welding skills to move the shock mounts. It isn't a big deal but I was just curious if they would have to be moved.

This axle has an open differential but I was planning to put in an ARB anyway. The van is already plumbed for air. I guess that I will have a slightly used ARB RD169 out of the old axle on the market after the swap due to the bigger diff in the D70.

Thanks to all of you for your input. It was a great help. I am going to get the "Wide-Track" axle ordered up. Will post the updates as it goes into the van.
smoothpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #13

The "new" axle now sits in the garage. It was ordered through LKQ via their automotix.com web site. Not an altogether wonderful experience but the price was right and I think everything will work out in the end.

The yard monkey did a bolt-cutter extraction job. The brake lines and emergency brake cable were cut. As a result, I also have $300 worth of new parts on order to put it all together. The extra 6" of axle length obviated the possibility of reusing those parts from Fat Gal.

It was a bit surprising to see 32-spline axle shafts in a Ford application but there they were. ARB says that they have a shiny, new RD171 waiting on the shelf for me to come pick up. At least the backlash and contact pattern in this axle appear to be correct and well within tolerance.

If all goes well the axle should be set up and ready to fit by the end of next week. The next big adventure will be to get the new springs built up and find the correct wedges to set the pinion angle.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #14

Heber at Sportsmobile had some new lower shock mounts designed so that they would look nicer and install more easily than the old practice of cutting off the stock mount, grinding it to shape and welding it back on in the SMB-specified location. I ordered some but SMB's supplier was not quick on the delivery. It took three weeks to get them and move the project along.

The Dana 70 is now under Fat Gal with the new RD-171 installed. I also installed the nine-leaf rear springs (Code 6) from the same E-350 Cutaway donor vehicle that the axle came from. Everything is now fully functional and I feel a lot better about pulling my heavy trailer.

There is still more to accomplish with regard to the springs. The Code 6 spring pair is rated at 7310# vs 6195# for the stock two-stage springs. (I don't know what the SMB springs rating is with the partial military-wrap leaf but it is probably in the same ballpark) The ride isn't much different. The continuing problem is that the Code 6 springs only have a 1-3/8" unloaded arch vs. 4" for the SMB springs. Once Fat Gal's normal operating weight is applied the new springs still end up with an upward arch. No gain was made as far as leveling the van and the SMB lift block are still there. The local spring shop says that they have modified a number of news agency (e.g.: lots of weight in the back) vans to level them up. For the price that they want, however, the project will have to be put on hold for a while.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #15

When I needed more spring capacity / ride height I pulled two springs out of an F350 spring pack and added them to my stock E350 springs. Still rides well and it added the extra ride I wanted (about 3"). Donor F350 springs cost me $60, plus the cost of new U-bolts.