Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #1

Front locker for IFS?

Have been thinking about buying a GM 1 ton van and having it converted to 4x4? I admit I know very little about details of 4x4 conversion. I asked the Quigley guy, and he said they don't do front lockers.....he said he didn't even know if it could be done on the GM with IFS. I would like to keep the IFS for the supposed better ride quality. Of course I could get a Ford but the extra leg and foot room, the softer ride, and possibility of ordering a diesel are strong points for GM (Government Motors). Would appreciate any and all comments on these matters. Stosh

Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #2

Re: Front locker for IFS?

A locker on the GM IFS is looking for disaster I think. The first time a wheel spins and the diff locks, it'll most certainly destroy the half shaft. The IFS setup is not robust. Which is probably why nobody makes a locker for it.

If you are really going to be doing driving where you need a front locker, go with the Ford. Besides the solid front axle, you get a much more robust frame/chassis and stronger transmission. And other goodies for off-roading like a power steering cooler, tighter turning radius, and better ground clearance.

Quote:
SalemKroger:Over the years we've found that Ford 4x4 vans and 4x4 trucks have a better engine selection and most importantly, a stronger frame than other manufacturers.
Also notice SMB and QuadVan only do Fords, and the majority of the 4x4 members on here have Fords.

Quigley will install a Ford solid axle setup into the GM van, but then you could run into future service issues having a Frankenvan like that, and I'm guessing they cannot do it on the new models with StabilTrac.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #3

BTW - I test drove a QuadVan 4x4 with 4" lift, and it rode smoother than my IFS 2wd.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:36 PM   #4

I don't think Quigley does the solid front axle on a GM any more. Anyone else have comments or does everyone agree that if I want a front locker that I should get a Ford? Thanks, Stosh
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:18 AM   #5

Get the Ford.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Actually SMB does do, or at least they did do Chevy 4x4 vans. Probably fine for those not wanting to chain up in snow. Back in 2006/7 I was told by a member here his was done by SMB/Quigley. The newer vans are probably different. Maybe SMB will convert an older chevy van if you find a good one. Unless I was lied to there is a pic of it here:
http://autoramblings.com/blog/?p=125

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Oh yeah....get the Ford if you want to off road with a heavy van. Weight is an issue.

Here is a chevy

I've noticed most are vans with no tops and are basically stripped or passenger type vans.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Actually SMB does do, or at least they did do Chevy 4x4 vans.
Are you sure SMB actually did it? For a while, SMB simply called Quigley 4x4 their own, until they came out with the real SMB 4x4.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #9
Site Team

Garage

They may have ordered the van which was ran through Quigley and then delevered to SMB. My point was they have delevered converted chevy 4x4's in the past. As far as Quigley's go, I've only seen one Chevy SMB 4x4 in all the times I was there but plenty of Fords. At first I actually thought the Chevy's 4x4 was possibly done by GMC but the owner said it was a Quigley.