Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Grease

Finally got around to repacking the front wheel bearings. Thanks again to Eric Badger for his comprehensive instructions. Much easier than I expected, plus I learned how the hub locks work. They really didn't need packing after 36k miles--the grease was clean and the bearings like new, but I'm glad I did it so I can repair them on the trail if necessary. With that in mind, I put together a wheel bearing kit to carry in the rig for just such an occurrence:

The kit includes: new packed wheel bearings, seal, six point socket, deep socket for lugs and brake caliper, snap-ring pliers, grease and a rag. I carry a breaker bar and a jack stand with me, so I think it would be an easy job to change the bearing in the middle of nowhere if necessary.

The bearings were fine, but the brakes needed some attention. They've been feeling increasingly wooden recently and the reason was obvious when I removed the rotors. Heavy glazing from high temperature had turned the rotors into black mirrors. I took them to a local shop and they put a non-directional pattern on them to remove the glazing. They didn't need to be turned, and the pads just needed a scuffing to remove the glazing on them. Huge difference after the pads bedded in.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Grease

OK when I come to put the rails on we__or you can instruct me how to do a field repair at your place. Great idea. Ranks up there with Saline's U-Joint field repair.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote