Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2015, 09:59 AM   #1

Help! Atlas Transfer Case

I have a real problem, and I really hope someone can give me some advise.

My Atlas Transfer Case has "blown up" (not literally, but close) on my 2006 4X4 Ford 350. I live in Virginia, and as far as I can tell, there are no mechanics who have heard of Atlas or SM. I took my van to AAMCO, and they told me that the center shaft had come out. They don't know if it can be fixed, and couldn't find out where to get another one to replace the one I have no.

The damages occurred when we were in Ohio at the funeral of my grandma. I had put it into its manual 4X4 due to snow, and I could tell something was wrong. Me and a friend crawled under and determined that it was the Transfer Case that was jacked up, as the oil was leaking everyplace. My buddy had never seen the Atlas, and wasn’t sure, but thought that as long as I didn’t shift to 4X4, the lack of oil in the Transfer Case wouldn’t damage the Transmission. So I drove us home (400 mi), nervous as heck, but never had a problem. Once we were home, I did as much research as I could find, and realized that something was wrong with the center shaft. That's when I went to AAMCO.

More than anything, I need to know if I can still my SM as long as I don't put it in 4X4. If so, then driving to SM in Indiana is an option. Not a good option, but an option.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
SM Atlas Transfer Case_1.jpg   SM Atlas Transfer Case_2.jpg   SM Atlas Transfer Case_3.jpg  

MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #2

Re: Help! Atlas Transfer Case

The Atlas Transfer Case is manufactured by Advance Adaptor, and the best thing to do is to contact them, www.advanceadaptors.com or 800-350-2223 and see what service or installation centers may be in your area. Jonny
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:18 AM   #3
Site Team

I've had one experience with AAMCO decades ago, and it will be my last experience EVER with them. Like Jonny said, call Advance Adapters, or get hold of a local 4x4 shop. They'll know their way around an Atlas.

Herb
Old 02-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

how much oil is in it? Looks overfilled from here.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

http://www.advanceadapters.com/pdf/atla ... manual.pdf
Old 02-07-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
how much oil is in it? Looks overfilled from here.

Z
Yep, so if that's a recent pic, it was either really overfilled, or the fluid is coming from somewhere else. The zip tie on the clear plastic tube provides a marking to indicate the max fill level on the fluid.

Herb
Old 02-07-2015, 12:31 PM   #7

Thanks, all.
-I have contacted Atlas, asking them if there was a mechanic in Virginia who know their TC. The response, via email, was "I don't know anybody".
-The tube is empty. The rubber is yellow.
- I have the maintenance file. I may try to install it but i doubt that that would bo well.
- I don't like AAMCO either. Havent been there since '93. But it's all i could find. (There was no charge). But every 4X4 Auto shop i called had never heard of Atlas, and that i should go to ... AAMCO.

Any other ideas, recommendations or knowledge?
Old 02-07-2015, 12:43 PM   #8

Since you have the maintenance records, it could be interesting to know what fluid was in it and whether you were running with the hubs locked at freeway speeds and, if so, for how many miles...

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtop...hilit=mercon+v
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:16 PM   #9

what fluid was in it …
Embarrassingly, I don’t know what fluid because, (head down in shame) I never changed it or checked it’s level.

running with the hubs locked at freeway speeds
Not sure what “freeway speeds” are. But I never locked my hubs without going 4X4. When I was out 4X4, I stopped and unlocked the hubs. As a matter of fact, the first time I realized something was wrong, I pulled over and checked the hubs.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #10

Sorry, forgot to mention that once i knew something was wrong, i crawled under and saw that the fluid was all over the bottom on the van. I hoped that it was just leaking out, until i figured otherwise. I still hope I'm wrong.